When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1955 Schwinn Jaguar 3 speed-doesn't engage

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

Siestabikes

Finally riding a big boys bike
I just picked this up today. i dribbed some oil in the port and the hub will not engage forward regardless of gear or if i simple tug and activate the cable. what should i do next

20190630_110657.jpg

20190630_110707.jpg

It is probably stuck from being dried out. You can continue to add oil and try to slosh it around. Pull on the indexing chain and hope it frees up. If that doesn't work you will have to take it apart. If you do take it apart, just watch closely how things go together. They aren't too tough. Good luck.

One of the first three speeds I had, I put gear oil in it because it has gears inside, seemed logical. I found out the hard way that heavy oil makes the ratchet pawls stick instead of popping back up, broken pawl springs can also cause this problem.

Im making slow progress with the bike. I unlaced the front wheel to de-rust everything and it made a big differance and to add locknuts to the cones. I was surprised to learn the wheel size was 559 and not 571 and just happened to have a nice set of repro wide whites on hand. the bike has mismatched brake levers...one is chrome the other aluminum. what would be original to the bike? i need to unstuck the stem wedge and deal with the still-non-engaging hub

The aluminum brake lever is the correct one. The seat and fenders are also not correct. I would recommend overhauling the rear hub so you can, for one, figure out what is wrong (probably just needs a good cleaning and oiling), and also so you can inspect the bearings and re-grease them.

The sturmey most likely has broken or stuck parts inside. Take it apart, clean it and then post pics of the worn parts and/or broken pawl spings which are most likely causing the problems you describe. Parts are easy to find. Clean and grease the cable and housing along with the shifter as well for top performance once back together. good luck.

Im making slow progress with the bike. I unlaced the front wheel to de-rust everything and it made a big differance and to add locknuts to the cones. I was surprised to learn the wheel size was 559 and not 571 and just happened to have a nice set of repro wide whites on hand. the bike has mismatched brake levers...one is chrome the other aluminum. what would be original to the bike? i need to unstuck the stem wedge and deal with the still-non-engaging hub
The 1st Jags were ballooners 26X 2.125 with a 559 bsd. The Mark IIs were middleweights

i loosened the left side of the hub a little and it now engages. it wasnt tight and actually spun well. how much lateral play if any is optimal? i tested the hub in the stand will the pull chain and it seems to have all 3 gears

20190703_194536.jpg

It's finished. I took a few liberties...tires, seat....but it rides and tracks nice and straight. never have I spent so much time on a bike that wasnt going to be used a regular basis. The rear hub fought me when lacing up the spokes. It wanted to tilt during the third rounds of spokes but after a good shaking and settling it cooperated

20190704_195842.jpg

20190704_195852.jpg

That's a beautiful bike! Should be a regular rider in my opinion.

Did you end up opening up the hub and cleaning? Should be done if it is going to be ridden at all to avoid damage. The oil hole doesn't get oil where it needs to be. Better off putting oil in the shifter chain hole to get some oil where the gears are if you are not going to take it apart.

Back