When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1955 Schwinn Jaguar 3 speed-doesn't engage

-
An odd bike. The chain guard is prob a 54 as issued for 54's heavyweight and S2 balloon rims. Fenders are off balance because they are china or braces are that not Schwinn, replaced with china. I've not seen this chain guard on a middle weight. But, possibility bike is as issued leftover 54 parts or changed later.

I did squirt some oil in the chain hole as well. I greased the bearings on the left side and opened up the right just a little to see some small bearings and hit those with grease as well. Im mentally spent from working on it (easily 10 hours over a couple of days) so i will leave it alone for a while. Thinking about a white SA twist grip shifter to add more white to the mix...was there a matching left grip as well?

my serial number is L944XX and the hub stamping is 10 54
That's what I was thinking. , after reviewing Oilit's post and link to others, It's not a 55 and had to be a 1954 >>>> 08/07 to 08/08 ------- L85454 ------------------ L97650

http://re-cycle.com/History/Schwinn/SwnB2_Serial.aspx#1954

And I wouldn't call them a Prototype, but 1st year production model. which should be in the area of mid summer 53 to end of summer 1954 'Back to school' sales/production.

With yours being this late in 54 it's likely of the last model like it made B/C they would also be producing the newer middle weight 55's at this time too.

That's what I was thinking. , after reviewing Oilit's post and link to others, It's not a 55 and had to be a 1954 >>>> 08/07 to 08/08 ------- L85454 ------------------ L97650

http://re-cycle.com/History/Schwinn/SwnB2_Serial.aspx#1954

And I wouldn't call them a Prototype, but 1st year production model. which should be in the area of mid summer 53 to end of summer 1954 'Back to school' sales/production.

With yours being this late in 54 it's likely of the last model like it made B/C they would also be producing the newer middle weight 55's at this time too.

That balloon Jaguar was an early release in late 1953 for Christmas sales and the production ran till the end of the 1955 model year. Basically the Jag was a 54 and 55 model bike.
The OP's bike looks like it has the 1955 style seat post decal, pictures are not that great. So there is a possibility it was built for the 55 model year.

I put on the truss rods, higher bars, and took it for and hour long ride to a nearby beach. Its a nice rice but i gotta work on the seat and front fender noise

20190720_175811.jpg

The correct rear fender for these Schwinns, middle weight and balloon, have braces that attach to a specific hole in the rear drop out - not over the axle. The front fender should have a duckbill on the back end. This is a picture from the 1955 catalog. Rear fenders have been attached as shown for many years prior to 54/55. The correct braces are shorter and the hole is too small to fit over an axle.

The arc of your fenders does not match the arc of your tire/wheel. I fought the same issues with some aftermarket fenders that a PO installed on one of my ballooners.

1955-jaguar.jpg

Last edited:
This is edited version from that old 53 prototype Jaguar thread about 1st run " prototype " , test run or pre-production. ( I first bought a 53 cantilever frame and thought someone had welded a hand brake hoop over the og fender bracket but a local old Schwinn shop told me it was a 53 prototype jaguar sent to dealers to test the market ( I later bought 2 complete ones ) then I went to Ann arbor swap and Jerry Peters house, then I met some old Schwinn factory workers at a Schwinn event that told me in 53 the boss said lets make a HD S2 3spd. and test the market, they only made frames in big batches so they pulled some Phantom frames out of stock and welded a hoop brace for the hand brake over the og fender mount. I don't remember if they told me how many (if they knew), they sent them out to certain dealers see the responce and when they got good reviews and were making frames again they made jag specific ones with just the hoop fender/brake mt. also they told me that the first ones had aluminum hub SA 3 spds. rarer Laubdell seat) And they used Panther fenders, all front had a L bracket ( riveted to the fender ) to mount to brake, prototype with the duel rear brackets used standard Panther fender and the production without standard bracket had to add riveted L bracket. Oh ya that blue is really cool!
1565334942599.png

Last edited:
Back