When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1955 Shelby Golden Eagle

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

Oilit

Cruisin' on my Bluebird
I picked this up last weekend, and it's well worn, but looks complete except for the replaced chain guard. I believe the paint is original, but other than pin stripes on the forks, there's no decals anywhere. So I was looking for pictures of a better example, and there are pictures of the ads, but none of the actual bikes. Has anybody got pictures showing the decals, and does anyone have an original chain guard?

IMG_3137.JPG

IMG_3135.JPG

IMG_3139.JPG

IMG_3140.JPG

IMG_3141.JPG

IMG_3143.JPG

IMG_3154.JPG

1955 Shelby Golden Eagle.PNG

Not gonna be easy to find one but, they sure advertised the heck out of it. And what the heck color is this? It's looking sort of Chartreuse and in this 54-55 period, same as others with that bright yellow/green or green/yellow like, safety colors.

s-l1600.jpg

Last edited:
Not gonna be easy to find one but, they sure advertised the heck out of it. And what the heck color is this? It's looking sort of Chartreuse and in this 54-55 period, same as others with that bright yellow/green or green/yellow like, safety colors.

View attachment 1238903

You notice the bike in your ad is slightly different, with painted chain guard and fenders, truss rods and a Rocket Ray(?) head light, where mine has no truss rods and the ad shows a generator light. Evidently yours is the balloon tire version and mine's a middleweight, but I couldn't find any photographs of either version. Pictures would help show how true the color in the ads was to the color on the bikes!

Last edited:
You notice the bike in your ad is slightly different, with painted chain guard and fenders, truss rods and a Rocket Ray(?) head light, where mine has no truss rods and the ad shows a generator light. Evidently yours is the balloon tire version and mine's a middleweight, but I couldn't find any photographs of either version. Pictures would help show how true the color in the ads was to the color on the bikes!
Thing is, that ad is; xmas 54 otherwise the 55 model and, the same as the ad says: "Balloon Tire lightweight" frame you've got.

Last edited:
Did you catch the wording in the ad following yellow "Golden Eagle"? "Balloon tired lightweight."

Did U see this ad, a photo of the later or lesser priced version and it's defiantly yellow. I wonder if it's 'Golden' metlac too? flicker won't let me do any more then link it. :

Last edited:
That
Did you catch the wording in the ad following yellow "Golden Eagle"? "Balloon tired lightweight."
Splains a lot. No wonder nobody has any. Apparently, these bikes got 'tried' out before launch.

Thing is, that ad is; xmas 54 otherwise the 55 model and, the same as the ad says: "Balloon Tire lightweight" frame you've got.
Do you think "Balloon-tire Lightweight" meant middleweight? I didn't think of that, but it might be. The middleweights had been on the market less than a year, maybe they were still getting the terminology straightened out.

Last edited:
Do you think "Balloon-tire Lightweight" meant middleweight? The middleweights had been on the market less than a year, maybe they were still getting the terminology straightened out.
The 2nd ad I recently posted and more like yours, says: "Middleweight". ;) And for the same frame , yeah, ' Balloon-tired Lightweight' is just the tired out phrase. :D

Last edited:
The 2nd ad I recently posted and more like yours, says: "Middleweight". ;) And for the same frame , yeah, ' Balloon-tired Lightweight' is just the tired out phrase. :D

Now that you brought it up, obviously kids in the day didn't approve of bright colors like this. Even in other manufactures, sort of neon bright failed as there are so very few.

However, potentially, if somebody's got an yellow one or similar yellow-ish gold that stands out like these advertisements do, hiding under house paint; THE HUNT IS ON!. o_O

Last edited:
Back