When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1955 Shelby Golden Eagle

-
Did U see this ad, a photo of the later or lesser priced version and it's defiantly yellow. I wonder if it's 'Golden' metlac too? flicker won't let me do any more then link it. :
Does the kid in the picture look like you in the day? Rolled up cuffs on the blue Jean's because mom bought them big so you could grow into them. And the all black PF Flyers so you could run faster and jump higher.

Does the kid in the picture look like you in the day? Rolled up cuffs on the blue Jean's because mom bought them big so you could grow into them. And the all black PF Flyers so you could run faster and jump higher.

I'm Thinking like; Red Ball Jets er somtin. But, no, not Norman Rockwell knock-off Milk kid expression, nope.

As with any kid, capturing that fleeting second Dopamine is rushing through their system, sure sells stuff.

I caught my son once, by sure luck, when he got up on a wake board, the very first time, I had a camera:

Shawn_1st_time_up_wakeboard[1].jpg

Couldn't believe that happened, The odds of getting the shot against it. And then, once I saw the photo, couldn't help but to say,: All that's missing is a Pepsi ad.

Last edited:
Not the Norman Rockwell feel good expression but just the clothes. Roebucks jeans from Sears; a little big in the waist, way too long, and double knees. Mom, "Gotta last you for a while." I think the PF Flyers were cheaper than the Converse Chuck Taylor All-Stars, plus they weren't white which showed how dirty you'd gotten them.

My mom always took us to Pic 'N' Pay and got the cheap plastic tennis shoes with a thin layer of rubber on the soles. After the first week, the rubber was gone and you had absolutely no grip. The kids called them "skates" because when you got on a polished and waxed hardwood basketball court, that's what they did. I despised those shoes. When I was 14 I found a $10.00 bill somebody lost and bought a pair of Converse All-Stars. I was moving up in the world!

I got this from the Googlebooks website, from their on-line back issues of Boys' Life (Boy Scouts of America). Hopefully this is large enough to read the fine print. Interesting that this shows the color to be darker, even though it's supposed to be scanned from the same issue. I don't know where the variation comes from.

1954 Shelby Golden Eagle.PNG

Last edited:
Those 2 ads show 2 pretty different bikes...chrome fenders & chain guard, painted fenders & chain guard, different headlight, truss rods, no truss rods.....but they are both yellow...

I like how Shelby got around Schwinn's cantilever patent by making a frame look like a canti, but it isn't.

Those 2 ads show 2 pretty different bikes...chrome fenders & chain guard, painted fenders & chain guard, different headlight, truss rods, no truss rods.....but they are both yellow...
And it could just be my imagination, but the more I look at it, the more the first version looks like a balloon-tire bike with a set of middleweight tires. :rolleyes: It makes me wonder if AMF planned to sell it as a balloon tire bike, until they saw how successful Schwinn's new middleweights were. "Hey look, kids! We've got a middleweight too!" :sweatsmile:

Last edited:
Back