When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1956 Racer rehab

-
Pedals turned out nice.

Had the bike ff on the stand yesterday for cleaning. Tried some wax, but I did not see a difference in the color. I was hoping waxing might bring the color back, but I don’t see it. I’d be hesitant to use something more aggressive to bring the original color out. May just have to live with it as is.

Rims are cleaning up nice. Should be done by tonight. Just waiting on that to reassemble the hubs. All those parts are out of the cleaning solution. Three speed hub gets a combination of Phil’s oil and grease. I use either Phil’s grease or a common red colored “high speed” grease from a hardware store. Depends on application. I like to use Phil’s grease on the hub bearings.

Here’s another neat thing I just saw. The seat post has the script Schwinn stamp. I assume these posts were made by Schwinn rather than being contracted out? What was the last year these were made? I’m also assuming this is the original seat. I’m sure @rennfaron will know. :)

The more I look at this bike, the more it strikes me as an interesting time capsule.

I currently have five 1950's Schwinns and not one has that Schwinn script seat post, none. My 58 Corvette has AS stem and seat post bolts but just the plain old galvanized seat post. My 2 original 55 Corvettes have the unmarked posts and I thought that was really odd. Yes they were made by Schwinn, but I can't figure out why some bikes have them and 90% don't.

A bunch of my 50s lightweights have the script posts. That '55 corvette I picked up has the script post too.

Interesting about those seat posts. Anyone know the last year for these? I checked my ‘55 American and it has a Schwinn script seat post.

Cleaned up the front wheel this morning getting ready to put the bearings and axle back in. Just noticed the front hub has the Schwinn script as well. The Racer was bottom of the line and considered a “budget” bike from what I’ve read, so I was surprised this was not a “Schwinn approved” hub. Again, curious when they started outsourcing these parts?

I can tell you that it was 1961-62 when Schwinn outsourced their previously in house made Schwinn Script hubs. The outsourced hubs still had the Schwinn script but also the added Approved. Schwinn made parts was a huge come and go situation over the years. They made early caliper brakes and levers and then quit when outsourced from Weinmann. You could probably spend years researching all the details on all the parts Schwinn made and then quit making during all their years.

Nice work. I'm looking at a women's racer locally as a gift for my daughter. It's a single speed however. In great shape yet I'd like to make it a three speed for her. I'd been looking for a Raleigh yet this old Schwinn is pretty nice.

Back