When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1956 Schwinn Racer

-

Siestabikes

Finally riding a big boys bike
I picked this up today courtesy of Facebook marketplace. I swapped the steel drop bars that were on it for more comfortable bars. Its been around the block a few times as the chain ring teeth are pointy and sharp. gave it a good cleaning and regrease but the front wheel (rim and hub) may not be fixable

20200609_200806.jpg

Nice looking bike. My dad had one very similar (probably early 60's model) which he rode to work every day for 20+ years. My mom had a matching bike. Kind of regret giving those away some years ago when we cleaned their house out.

Nice bike! ‘56 was the first year for the Racer. Looks mostly original. They are great riders. I have a ‘56 women’s frame Racer that I have yet to overhaul. ‘56 - ‘58 Racers had the ’speedy’ font for the Schwinn lettering, which was unique to the Racers. I regularly ride a ‘59 Racer.

What's the prevailing wisdom on anti-rotational washers for SA hubs. My bike didnt come with any and the hub fit perfectly into the frame. i did use the newer thicker kind (1975 intro according to Sheldon) on the outside of the dropout.

file:///C:/Users/Mike/Desktop/Sturmey-Archer%20Internal-Gear%20Hubs,%20Tech%20Tips.html

Here's my '56 women's frame and '59 men's tall frame Racers. You can see the difference in the font for the Scwinn name.

View attachment 1208628

View attachment 1208629
I think I might have a ‘56 woman’s racer. Did they make them with a coaster brake and did they make them in blue? There are no scratch marks on the handlebars to lead me to believe it had hand brakes. I did pull the Schwinn plate off the front and the back looks like brass not aluminum. So I’m not sure if that conflicts with it being a ‘56. The serial number says it could be a ‘54 or a ‘56 and it’s my understanding the Racer wasn’t available in ‘54 but the brass plate implies it could be a ‘54. So I’m not sure

Yes, the Racer came as either three speed or single speed coaster brake. ”Opal blue” was one of the colors the lightweights came in.

I think I might have a ‘56 woman’s racer. Did they make them with a coaster brake and did they make them in blue? There are no scratch marks on the handlebars to lead me to believe it had hand brakes. I did pull the Schwinn plate off the front and the back looks like brass not aluminum. So I’m not sure if that conflicts with it being a ‘56. The serial number says it could be a ‘54 or a ‘56 and it’s my understanding the Racer wasn’t available in ‘54 but the brass plate implies it could be a ‘54. So I’m not sure
The 1954 catalog shows the World (single speed coaster brake) and Varsity (3 speed with caliper brakes) and the Racer doesn't appear until 1956, when it evidently replaced both models. I believe you're right, the badges were aluminum by 1956, but I'm guessing even a 1956 could have an older badge. Schwinn didn't throw away good parts just because they were last year's model.

The 1954 catalog shows the World (single speed coaster brake) and Varsity (3 speed with caliper brakes) and the Racer doesn't appear until 1956, when it evidently replaced both models. I believe you're right, the badges were aluminum by 1956, but I'm guessing even a 1956 could have an older badge. Schwinn didn't throw away good parts just because they were last year's model.
I can see that the badge might be a carry over from an old batch, especially if that was the year that they started using aluminum badges. I don’t think the bike had hand brakes there are no marks/scratches on the handlebars to suggest that and the holes in the fork I believe is for mounting the fender. I know it possible for parts to be switched out therefore making it harder to identify bike, but if this bike had gears wouldn’t have an area on the frame to guide the gear cable through down by the cranks. I don’t see one. That’s what makes me believe it’s supposed to be a coaster brake model.
By the way do you know where I should look to get fenders for it. I know the traveler had a fin on top of the front fender. Do the racers have the same fenders as the Racer?

It looks to me a bike put together from several parts light weights. My 1953 Varsity and 1954 Traveler used the same winged head badge. Probably someones project bike that didn't get finished. Roger

Back