When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1956 Schwinn Racer

-
I can see that the badge might be a carry over from an old batch, especially if that was the year that they started using aluminum badges. I don’t think the bike had hand brakes there are no marks/scratches on the handlebars to suggest that and the holes in the fork I believe is for mounting the fender. I know it possible for parts to be switched out therefore making it harder to identify bike, but if this bike had gears wouldn’t have an area on the frame to guide the gear cable through down by the cranks. I don’t see one. That’s what makes me believe it’s supposed to be a coaster brake model.
By the way do you know where I should look to get fenders for it. I know the traveler had a fin on top of the front fender. Do the racers have the same fenders as the Racer?
The derailleur bikes had more cable guides, the three speeds just have the pulley under the top tube, and then the cable runs down to the end of the axle. Your bike looks correct for a three speed. For more, you can start with T.R. Findley's web site on Schwinn catalogs: http://www.trfindley.com/pg_schwinn_cats.htm

I can see that the badge might be a carry over from an old batch, especially if that was the year that they started using aluminum badges. I don’t think the bike had hand brakes there are no marks/scratches on the handlebars to suggest that and the holes in the fork I believe is for mounting the fender. I know it possible for parts to be switched out therefore making it harder to identify bike, but if this bike had gears wouldn’t have an area on the frame to guide the gear cable through down by the cranks. I don’t see one. That’s what makes me believe it’s supposed to be a coaster brake model.
By the way do you know where I should look to get fenders for it. I know the traveler had a fin on top of the front fender. Do the racers have the same fenders as the Racer?
Men's three speeds had cable stays brazed onto the frame starting in 1954 or 55 along with a bracket for the 3 speed shift cable. Women's 3 speeds frames never had this to my knowledge. My daughter rides a '65 woman's Traveler, and all of the cables use clamp-on cable guides and stays.

Back