When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1956 Streamliner "rustoration" (organic acid bath)

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
Thanks! Ive got a super crusty prewar Schwinn Ace ive gotta soak and im waiting till the right time to knock it out. Its cruuuuusty. Ill be lucky if there is ANY color left under the rust on this one but a man can hope.
I've done a few that even i couldn't believe still had paint

One more question, does an acid bath remove rattle can spray paint without removing the OG paint?

Thanks

One more question, does an acid bath remove rattle can spray paint without removing the OG paint?

Thanks
I use oven cleaner for that. I will stop at a car wash on my way home with a "house painted" bike and a couple cans of regular strength oven cleaner from the dollar store. It cleans the hubs whitewalls and also takes the rattle can paint right off. I've bought a few that had perfect original paint underneath the monochrome "garden" bike paint job. If I have my brass brush I'll knock the rust off the wheels and chrome fenders etc while I am there. Nothing beats oven cleaner for that. Brass is a lower hardness than chrome so no scratches. You have to find actually brass brushes though or I have even ordered brass wool.

Sent from my S48c using Tapatalk

Last edited:
A sponge with the blue nonscratch side is all I use for that. If I don't have a brush. I just spray it on and oven cleaner and a few other chemicals will actually digest the fat right out of your skin. It dissolves the oil based paints and leaves the hardened factory paint behind. There is no hardener in rattle can paint if you get my meaning. That really slippery feeling you get on your finger tips using oven cleaner is you own body fat

Alright I’ll give it a try. How long should I keep the oven cleaner on the bike before I rinse it off?

Alright I’ll give it a try. How long should I keep the oven cleaner on the bike before I rinse it off?
I spot test it with the sponge. When it all wipes off I hit it with the wand. Results may vary. Sometimes you just find a mess under that spay paint but at least you know what you have

Last edited:

Thanks
If you look earlier in the thread I post an app I use when I test the water to calculate acid demand. It is really dependant on the water volume and the dissolved solids in the water at delivery and what wind up in there from the bicycle. The benefit is the curve starts climbing rapidly at 5ph and 90° so you have a really big buffer area. That blue pool I posted I was just adding boiling water to keep the temperature up. It actually snowed that night. I don't think I kept it above 120° but I managed to finish three bicycles in there in about four hours.

My bad I thought that was the how much acid question

Back