When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1957 Corvette - recent pickup

-

OptimusJay

Finally riding a big boys bike
Snagged this a couple of weeks ago and just now really looking it over. Wrong seat, missing reflector and headlight. Fenders aren't all dented up which is a nice change. Schwinn 3 speed and shifter (baseball diamond?) which is a nice change from the more common S/A. Rides nice, hits all 3 gears easily. At some point the front wheel was changed out to a S-2. With the wide fenders it's not a issue with the larger/wider tire, it's just odd...but i guess a lot can happen over the course of 64 years. Gonna try and sell this as-is locally on Craigs for $200. Think that's reasonable?

IMG_6936.JPG

IMG_6937.JPG

IMG_6938.JPG

IMG_6939.JPG

IMG_6941.JPG

IMG_6943.JPG

IMG_6945.JPG

That still has the little Weinmann tag on the front brake caliper! o_O

In my area that would have a $500 CL price tag on it, if not more. For two Benjamins, someone is going to Disneyland after they part that out. I need a nice set of bows for my 55 Corvette that came with a set of small cap bows.

That still has the little Weinmann tag on the front brake caliper! o_O

In my area that would have a $500 CL price tag on it, if not more. For two Benjamins, someone is going to Disneyland after they part that out. I need a nice set of bows for my 55 Corvette that came with a set of small cap bows.
Hey Gary, if it doesn't sell as a complete bike I'll let you know. The pedals are good but the end caps are pretty scraped-up. But yes, the early bows are always in demand.

@rennfaron, If the shifter is original to this bike, do you think this is an earlier version of the Austrian shifter? 1957 seems early for an Austrian hub, but not so much that it isn't possible. @OptimusJay, you said the front wheel is an S-2, but the rear is still S-7? Either way, the paint and decals on that bike have survived in nice shape.

Oilit, yes the rear is still the S-7, only the front is an S-2. Usually when I've seen a replacement front wheel the fork is bent, as in someone hit a curb or something else really hard and bent the front rim. But the fork looks normal in this one.

In my experience, it seems like '58/59 were the years for the Schwinn Approved Austrian hub/shifter. This one's number dates the frame to being stamped Nov of 1957, so I would think it's all original to the bike.

Back