When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1957 Corvette - recent pickup

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
Oilit, yes the rear is still the S-7, only the front is an S-2. Usually when I've seen a replacement front wheel the fork is bent, as in someone hit a curb or something else really hard and bent the front rim. But the fork looks normal in this one.

In my experience, it seems like '58/59 were the years for the Schwinn Approved Austrian hub/shifter. This one's number dates the frame to being stamped Nov of 1957, so I would think it's all original to the bike.
That makes sense. I've seen a lot more of the oval Austrian shifters than the one on your bike, so I'm guessing maybe it's an early style and they changed not long after Schwinn started buying them. But it's just a guess.

@rennfaron, If the shifter is original to this bike, do you think this is an earlier version of the Austrian shifter? 1957 seems early for an Austrian hub, but not so much that it isn't possible. @OptimusJay, you said the front wheel is an S-2, but the rear is still S-7? Either way, the paint and decals on that bike have survived in nice shape.
@Oilit I first noticed those shifters on 50s racers as earlier as 1957. I don't see them on racers earlier than that (so far). Out of the lightweights only the racers got them. The Travelers got the sturmey shifters until 1959 when they got the rounded version. I also noticed along the way that corvettes had that same square shifter at the same time as the racers...

For a long time I had thought that the Austria hub started around the dates noted '58/59, but I have seen that hub found on original racers earlier, when paired with this specific shifter. It is just a copy of the SA hub. Something to do with production or patent issues. I can't remember why they went back and forth from SA to the Austrian version.

Here is a January 1957 serial numbered Corvette with that early shifter. https://thecabe.com/forum/threads/schwinn-corvette.168169/

If I remember correctly SA was having some production issues in late 58 and they were also making some changes on the hubs prior to the 59 shortage which may have caused Schwinn to use the Austrian piece earlier on. I can't seem to locate that 58 Reporter but I don't think it mentioned the reason for the use of the Schwinn Approved hub earlier in 57, unless it was the same ongoing issue. The 1957 Corvette and Jag catalog pages say these are equipped with Sturmey Archer 3 speed gears, but we know that can change.

Here is a January 1957 serial numbered Corvette with that early shifter. https://thecabe.com/forum/threads/schwinn-corvette.168169/

If I remember correctly SA was having some production issues in late 58 and they were also making some changes on the hubs prior to the 59 shortage which may have caused Schwinn to use the Austrian piece earlier on. I can't seem to locate that 58 Reporter but I don't think it mentioned the reason for the use of the Schwinn Approved hub earlier in 57, unless it was the same ongoing issue. The 1957 Corvette and Jag catalog pages say these are equipped with Sturmey Archer 3 speed gears, but we know that can change.
I don't know the details, but I know Sturmey-Archer was having problems with the SW hub, to the point that they finally dropped it sometime after 1958, and the timing can't be a coincidence. I've seen SW hubs on a couple of Schwinns, but I don't understand how the springless pawl system was ever supposed to work reliably. Brian Hayes wrote an in-depth article on the design (on the Sheldon Brown website), and the only way he was able to get it to work every time was to modify the pawls to be spring loaded, like the AW was to start with. It seems to be one of those designs that was almost great, except for one fatal flaw.

Last edited:
Snagged this a couple of weeks ago and just now really looking it over. Wrong seat, missing reflector and headlight. Fenders aren't all dented up which is a nice change. Schwinn 3 speed and shifter (baseball diamond?) which is a nice change from the more common S/A. Rides nice, hits all 3 gears easily. At some point the front wheel was changed out to a S-2. With the wide fenders it's not a issue with the larger/wider tire, it's just odd...but i guess a lot can happen over the course of 64 years. Gonna try and sell this as-is locally on Craigs for $200. Think that's reasonable?

View attachment 1404342

View attachment 1404343

View attachment 1404344

View attachment 1404345

View attachment 1404346

View attachment 1404347

View attachment 1404348
I would be a buyer at two bills if you would be willing to ship. My zip is 53042. Thanks. Razin.

I only gave $2.50 for my '57 'vette, and it had the og seat and one ww westwind tire! But it must've hit something pretty solid, as it had a lightweight fork, front fender, and S-5 front wheel. Also, I bought it in the summer of 1980, so prices have changed a little bit, in nearly 41 years!

I only gave $2.50 for my '57 'vette, and it had the og seat and one ww westwind tire! But it must've hit something pretty solid, as it had a lightweight fork, front fender, and S-5 front wheel. Also, I bought it in the summer of 1980, so prices have changed a little bit, in nearly 41 years!
$2.50, WHAT A STEAL. Wish i could still find at that price.

Back