When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1957 Corvette Refresh!

-
:cool: You had me fooled there, or more like that one picture of the hub did. My neck still has a kink from trying to read the number. ha!
I didn't care for the painted wheels on my Corvette when I bought the car new and I came real close to replacing them with a chromed set. Aftermarket alloy chromed repops were cheaper than stripping and polishing the originals at that time. I would prefer a high polished set over the chromed replicas since the chrome will flake off in short order, so I left them with the factory finish. Still don't care for them though.

Huret chromed these shifter levers and they are alloy. They are used on the 5 speed Corvettes and once they get dull and ugly there is nothing you can do to bring them back.

1607413783552.png

Last edited:
I didn't care for the painted wheels on my Corvette when I bought the car new and I came real close to replacing them with a chromed set. Aftermarket alloy chromed repops were cheaper than stripping and polishing the originals at that time. I would prefer a high polished set over the chromed replicas since the chrome will flake off in short order, so I left them with the factory finish. Still don't care for them though.

OK, I see there is chromed alloy out there, thanks for the examples GTs.
Off topic, but here is my current Corvette wheel... Not chromed!

Finally!
My 26" wheels are on. Now the bike has the proper balance. 700c is just wrong on a cantilever frame IMO.
New chain & 20t rear sprocket (from 18t).

Working on bolting up longer reach brakes & cables. Got two replacement seatposts, one straight & one laid back.
I went lay back post first for looks, then roomy cockpit, and last for easier wheelies. I don't think these thin posts can handle grunting up a wheeiie. At least the lay back post. Plus for proper fitment the knee is supposed to be over the ball of the foot, not behind it.
So not sure on what seatpost to run.

The bike is getting closer to bead blast & powdercoat!

Before...

And now...

Nice wheel sets! Are those tires labeled MS like the car tires? Mud and Snow. :p

More progress today. As in about finished. I can swap out a couple of parts anytime (tires, bars, seatpost, chain guard, gearing), but this is it. Final grips are not yet on.
Simple. Underdone in my mind, but I wanted a large Sting-Ray like bike, yet with gears, for jammin it like in my old Sting-Ray days.
No excess. Cables are enough excess.
Brakes are weak. MX1000 + BlackOps levers, and I suppose the rims & pads both need a scuff/break-in. I may file the pads...
44x20 geared and I have a low enough 1st. Silver chain.
It looks klunker or rat, but it will look pretty fresh after a powdercoat. Not looking for too much patina. 2020 meets 1957.
I have learned, and am still learning old bikes. This site is amazing and my bike pales compared to most here. Good positive group.

Snowing & icy here so no immediate ride unfortunately. I gotta plow snow at 5:00am lol...

The apparently obligatory rear tire view...

I am acquiring a frame in January, so a another build is in my future. Brainstorming on that.

Cheers

I like the bike.
The build is simple and functional and looks good. I like the cantilever frames, to me they just look cool. Maybe because I don’t have one.

Interesting GTs. I like it. My opinion is on an angled back seat tube, with a long extended seat post it is just asking to bend. Cantilevered. Especially in the spindly 13/16" diameter. Even more so on a lay back post.
I fit close to proper leg extension on bicycles, not the slammed low seat post style, so I will normally have extended seat posts. And the risk of bending one. I think I will go through seat posts...

BTW, very nice red paint on the bike pictured. Hope mine looks that good!

Personalizing my bike a bit. Pretty much in its road going fashion now. Or neighborhood hooligan fashion.
Ames grips. A fine copy of the great tacky Ourys. Grew up with them. 2nd lay back post slid in - lets see how long this one lasts...
Tool bag... Tube, co2's cartridges (16 gram), tyre levers & allen head combo tool. Crescent wrench.
This bike pedals really nice. And fits really well.

Back