When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1957 Corvette Refresh!

-

Maxacceleration

Finally riding a big boys bike
Hello all,
I am new here and have a '1957 Corvette 3 speed I recently acquired. A rider, but with too much patina for me!
Too much bubbling rust spots for me.
This bike is missing quite a few parts for keeping it an original stock Corvette.
What is original is the frame & fork, Sturmey 3 spd hub/shifter, crank (not the chainring) chainguard, maybe the stem, not sure on the bars but probably not. Plenty of rust/patina on the bars though.

So... BMX restomod it is! In a deluxe sort of way. It won't be a full stipper bmx 'race' bike. ...Just contemplating keeping the chainguard on it, the deluxe '59+ seat I acquired in phenominal condition, the SA hub and shifter.
Chrome bmx cruiser forks are on the way. Some sort of 'different' colored tires too. Single rear side pull for the moment.
Putting back 26" wheels on it, as someone was running it with 700c.
Its a vision!
I have found a very nice two stage powdercoat candy apple red for it. Might vary from the original color paint slightly, but close enough. I have decals on the way too. So a 2021 1957 Corvette it will be!
I am open for ideas, do'd & don'ts and opinion! :sunglasses:
I am starting this thread rather early, or just at the start of my refresh. ...Acquiring parts. ...Returning parts because vendors don't send out the parts they describe they are selling. Oh well, it all happens in time!

So far, bars, stem, seatpost & a couple of seats... Mocking up for the time being.

Thats all I got, and progress will be moderate.

In my second pic above my seat fitment is correct. I had to ball hone the seat tube (my local shop did it for me in 5 and free as I know him). The seat post would not slide in easily at all. Now it does. Guess I need a couple of ball hones.
Received the bmx forks today, plus grips. And diamond tread tires. My friend at the shop has rims coming and will build my wheels.
Oh I acquired a nice old Mailard high flange hub for the front. ...Gotta polish it up. Along with the SA hub.

I am guessing this bike will need long reach brakes. I need to find a pair... thinking Dia Comp MX1000? 70-90mm reach?

SE Landing Gear forks went on today. Nice beefy forks.
The theme of my bike is simple cantilever bmx cruiser. No reinvention here.
Going for a 'factory' look so choice accessories of which there will be very few. Two sets of handlebars too, so I can do bmx or a beach look.
This is just the mock up!

After my ride the other day, I felt my bike is way over geared. Wald 44 x18 on it now with the ancient '57 SA 3 spd. 1st is acceptable but really should be 2nd. 2nd & 3rd are tall! I will measure gear inches for a before & after.
I would like to be able to spin 1st easy enough to tackle a steep hill here or there (still standing I would suppose). 3rd will still be plenty tall.
New wheels getting built for my bike soon (waiting on rims). I will go 44/22 or more likely 24t. I would like a 42t front but they are hard to come by (Lucky 7). The 1957 Sturmey Archer hub shifts beautifully.

Did the 1st polish out on the Mailard high flange front hub. I'll do it once more & call it done. The alloy SA hub is next when I pull the rear wheel apart.
Hoping for two more rides before Monday then the wheels are off!
Got a 2 spd kickback going on my china outlaw lol. That will be fun.

Happy Thanksgiving y'all.

Reactions: JLF
Also pulled my beautiful but hard as hell Schwinn parade seat. Getting more bmx'y lol. I am enjoying the build up, with a good riding bike even before its torn down.

I received my fresh Corvette decals recently. Can't wait for a fresh two stage powdercoat! I read elsewhere powdercoat covers up the serial number. I will rectangle that out so a future owner knows what he/she has.
Hard to see but here they is.

Burp, ate way too much for Thanksgiving. Belch. Sure was good though!

I'm not familiar with all the fine details about powder coating, so how does one block off a section like the serial numbers? I would think you can't just mask it off like when doing paint. Is the section masked off and then the powder application and before baking the masking is removed?
Since your using that chrome fork, I assume you won't be using those fork decals. They are not correct for a 57 model Schwinn, but this is a custom. ;)

The powder coater, as I understand has their own heat resistant tape, I think he said to me. We'll see how that goes.
I could not find the complete large dart & pinstripe fork decal. Same goes for the chain guard, I have not found the perimeter pinstripes.
I bought the decals from Vintage Schwinn.
The fork will be powder coated at the same time so it is a match anytime I may want to use it. Easy change out.
It is a two stage powdercoat, silver base and a candy apple-ish top stage. Should have some good metallic in it.
While the purist may scoff at it, at least it will be a decent looking frame to most. We'll see how close it is...
I'm listening to your wisdom GTs! But I guess I'll call it a custom for my lack of following original protocol.

Edit: It will be a semi close match to my Corvette car!

Last edited:
Bicyclebones has the long pin fork decals but I wouldn't recommend a decal in that situation. The forks were hand pin striped just as the chain guard was. Real quick and easy work for someone that can do pin striping. There was a piece for sale on eBay some years back that had that Apple Red powder and it was a custom cantilever middleweight converted to a 10 speed, balloon rear, S-7 front, BMX bars, fenderless and it had me all excited. Never seen one as nice since.

Back