When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1957 Corvette Refresh!

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
Ahhh yes, the comfort of a seat change. The old (but new looking) Schwinn seat is like sitting on a board! I will use that seat only when displaying my bike with some old school tires. The 'rider' tires I have chosen are the Continental 'Traffic" tires, Should be good for hooning around.
Waiting semi impatiently for my rims to come in - then my shop to build them. Argh, cabin fever!

Progress! Slow as it may be. My 2 speed kick back wheel is done (for a modern off brand outlaw style bike I call it).
And my Weinmann rims are in, to be built up soon. Funny thing is covid passed through the shop so its closed for a week, so I wait.
Hinged brake levers & calipers are on their way.
Sourcing parts has been interesting... there is a whole lot of out of stock going on.
Gives me time to pedal my Vette for another week or so.

After having an altercation with a car yesterday, and not having enough braking power to haul it down now, I have chosen to have front & rear hand brakes/calipers on my bike. It was a case of a car pulling out of a blind alley and me going downhill on a sidewalk. Not assigning blame.
My rear caliper does not lock a tire and I was squeezing like a mofo to avoid that car lol.
Its a battle I am having... 2 spd kickback zero cables, or my existing SA 3 spd freewheel, hand brakes and cables... No cables is cleaner.
But I am/will use the 57 Sturmey Archer hub. It should stay with the bike. So I will be stuck with cables.

I am pissed my 13/16" layback seatpost lasted about two weeks. I believe it was starting to bend before I torqued on my bike trying to avoid the car. Layback torques it more IMO. I weigh 165 lbs and have been pretty easy on the bike. It should not have bent. ...But I do torque while seated.
To me the biggest drawback of this Schwinn Corvette is the 13/16" seatpost. ...Weak ... I learn...
I think the Wald or MCS seatposts are weak. They call them cro-mo, but are they? I would like to keep a layback post on the bike because it adds so much to bmx style, and make for spacious cockpit.
These are just a couple of side steps. My bike is still on track for my refresh.

Tic tock time moves on.

In my second pic above my seat fitment is correct. I had to ball hone the seat tube (my local shop did it for me in 5 and free as I know him). The seat post would not slide in easily at all. Now it does. Guess I need a couple of ball hones.
Received the bmx forks today, plus grips. And diamond tread tires. My friend at the shop has rims coming and will build my wheels.
Oh I acquired a nice old Mailard high flange hub for the front. ...Gotta polish it up. Along with the SA hub.

I am guessing this bike will need long reach brakes. I need to find a pair... thinking Dia Comp MX1000? 70-90mm reach?

View attachment 1304718
View attachment 1304719
View attachment 1304720
looking good maybe a bmx style colored chainring

looking good maybe a bmx style colored chainring
Thanks. Maybe so on chainring.
Trued my rear wheel, pulled my chain guard to soak and put back on my bent seatpost after bending my layed back post. Cleaned up my old SA 3 spd some more. I'll polish on it hard once I pull the wheel apart.

Ready to ride tomorrow.

Reactions: JLF
I finally tore down my rear wheel. My rims are in & my bike shop is back open.
Here are my hubs I am polishing on. A late 80's Mailard high flange front hub, and my '57 Sturmey 3 speed rear hub.
They look ok.
As pictured in the photo, should I be able to get rid of this final layer of corrosion? I am hand rubbing with semichrome.
Can't seem to remove the final bit of tarnish/corrosion/whatever. Would a wheel help get the final layer or is this it???
A different polishing product?? Or be happy with it - its not a show bike lol...
TIA

Just a heads up before you build up the new wheels. Sturmey dated their hubs and to my eyes I see 67 - 8 stamped underneath the name logo. I think I see the word Alloy on the shell and if so, the chrome plating might be wearing off. Even though the English chrome is better than the French chrome, there always seem to be issues with chroming alloys. lol

My hub is a 57 - 8 GTs, on my '57 Corvette. Chroming an aluminum alloy hub?? Alloy is not chromed usually as I know it, but I do not know these old bikes so well. Steel is chromed. Alloy is polished or anodized (in the modern era). Correct me if I am wrong.
I will give the hubs a quick wax & send them off, whatever their finish is, to my wheel builder tomorrow. Not the biggest of concerns.

Back