When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1957 Corvette Refresh!

-
Is that new seat post made with any exotic metal that's twice as strong as the standard seat posts? If it's hollow, maybe fill it solid with some concrete? :tonguewink: The Corvette is lookin good!

Is that new seat post made with any exotic metal that's twice as strong as the standard seat posts? If it's hollow, maybe fill it solid with some concrete? :tonguewink: The Corvette is lookin good!
Sweet bike mate. The short brake levers may not give enough leverage for side pull calipers. I had the same problem on my Typhoon. Swapped them for some longer ones and the difference is massive.

Thanks ozzie.
Interesting thought ozzie. I will mull that over. I two finger brake on everything from bicycles to motorcycles.
Even if it is a full length lever I may never use three fingers.
The reason I ended up with these levers is I wanted all silver - lever and mount. They are hard to find. I didn't want the eye to fall to the levers...
I will search for a full length lever/mount in all silver. I prefer the Magura style levers such as yours are.

My bike isn't yet detailed like yours is ozzie - first time I've seen it... You have several queues I have thought of doing too. Very clean bike.
I will keep mine slightly different just to make it its own.

And thanks GTs... There's nothing like a beautiful Corvette!

On bending seatposts.. I have thought of JB welding in a length of rebar, but I truly don't know if it would be more resistant to bending.
And I hate adding weight... My life long obcession on bicycles.

Thanks ozzie.
Interesting thought ozzie. I will mull that over. I two finger brake on everything from bicycles to motorcycles.
Even if it is a full length lever I may never use three fingers.
The reason I ended up with these levers is I wanted all silver - lever and mount. They are hard to find. I didn't want the eye to fall to the levers...
I will search for a full length lever/mount in all silver. I prefer the Magura style levers such as yours are.

My bike isn't yet detailed like yours is ozzie - first time I've seen it... You have several queues I have thought of doing too. Very clean bike.
I will keep mine slightly different just to make it its own.

And thanks GTs... There's nothing like a beautiful Corvette!

On bending seatposts.. I have thought of JB welding in a length of rebar, but I truly don't know if it would be more resistant to bending.
And I hate adding weight... My life long obcession on bicycles.
The Magura levers are usually expensive. 80’s dia compe like the one on my 51 Panther can usually be found on ebay at reasonable prices.

BA84203F-A78E-4B6E-98D0-8905DB4C1F14.jpeg

1E3D1856-775E-4EEB-91E4-080E49A60BC3.jpeg

I have been away for quite some time on my bike project. Going through C, plus the associated treatment and add in pneumonia at the same time, argh. Its good to be getting back in action.
My bike is stripped and at the sandblaster. Then using a different powdercoater for the PC. My bike may be back together in a months time... we'll see. It will be just as pictured already basically.
I am not concerned with patina, or using solely old Schwinn or early bmx parts. I will have a restomod 1957 Schwinn Corvette.
Just like a restomod muscle car, quite possibly better than new. Maybe, or maybe not more valuable than the original. Doesn't matter.
My bikes are keepers anyway, and I have three adult boys (oxymoron??? lol) in which we have a choice of bikes to ride (including touring on bicycles this year - and never forget ADV motorcycle travel).
I hope to post up my Vette soon. I am also building a modernistic True Torch 3 bar, which will have some pizzazz as JTT bikes do.
Fun bicycle year 2021 will be.

Last edited:
I have been away for quite some time on my bike project. Going through C, plus the associated treatment and add in pneumonia at the same time, argh. Its good to be getting back in action.
My bike is stripped and at the sandblaster. Then using a different powdercoater for the PC. My bike may be back together in a months time... we'll see. It will be just as pictured already basically.
I am not concerned with patina, or using solely old Schwinn or early bmx parts. I will have a restomod 1957 Schwinn Corvette.
Just like a restomod muscle car, quite possibly better than new. Maybe, or maybe not more valuable than the original. Doesn't matter.
My bikes are keepers anyway, and I have three adult boys (oxymoron??? lol) in which we have a choice of bikes to ride (including touring on bicycles this year - and never forget ADV motorcycle travel).
I hope to post up my Vette soon. I am also building a modernistic True Torch 3 bar, which will have some pizzaz as JTT bikes do.
Fun bicycle year 2021 will be.

View attachment 1355029
View attachment 1355041
Wish you all the best. I had my best mate go through intense chemo last year and made it through. I lusted after a True Torch cook replica but unfortunately my emails didn’t get answered. I settled on a Red Menace.......best riding bike i have. Not cromo or USA made but the frame is beautifully welded and light. Maybe next time i’m in LA i’ll drop by and see if Johnny has anything ready to go and bring it back with me. He builds beautiful gear. I have his bars on my Typhoon.

Last edited:
Right on Gents & thanks. JTT is built to order and I was on a relatively quick waiting list (one month apprx).
Johnny has been a good business man IME.
We have similar tastes ozzie - I have drums & 3 spd going on my bike too. Give me some time and I'll get er done lol.
I did not get bars with tipped up ends - too close to a beach bar bend for me, although most JTT's use that bend.

...Locating decals on my Vette will be my next perfection thing to tackle.
Cheers!

Right on Gents & thanks. JTT is built to order and I was on a relatively quick waiting list (one month apprx).
Johnny has been a good business man IME.
We have similar tastes ozzie - I have drums & 3 spd going on my bike too. Give me some time and I'll get er done lol.
I did not get bars with tipped up ends - too close to a beach bar bend for me, although most JTT's use that bend.

...Locating decals on my Vette will be my next perfection thing to tackle.
Cheers!
Looking forward to seeing that JTT. I love the SA 3 speed. BTW, I think at the time i contacted TT, they may have been shut due to covid and not replying to emails as a few months later when i ordered my bars, i dealt with Craig and he got them shipped right away. I know what you mean about the bars but if you turn them down a little they flatten out and are comfortable. All the best from downunder.

Back