When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1957? Raleigh roadster bicycle - this weekend's score

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

Tyberius

Look Ma, No Hands!
Drug this old codger out of a barn in Maryland this weekend. Pretty complete except for saddle, grips and front fender. There's a date/serial code stamped into the seatpost that says DF52533. It has a 3 speed Sturmey Archer dynohub with a 57 date on it. The process of dating these guys seems clear as mud but will look around. Will probably be hitting up the membership for info on a number of topics but am super excited to have it. Will be cleaning up only, not a full restoration - underneath the filth seems pretty intact. Also bough an old Schwinn Jaguar (?) as part of the deal.

IMG_4049.JPG

IMG_4050.JPG

IMG_4057.JPG

IMG_4054.JPG

Schwinn Jaguars and Corvettes had stainless steel fenders. I believe the Tiger had painted fenders in the '50's, and the American never had the three speed hub. That might help I.D. your Schwinn. Both bikes look like they'll need a good bit of work, but the potential is there. Nice find!

I think @Oilit has it right. Having painted fenders and 3-speed hub point toward the Tiger model (1955 thru 1957 or 1958 with that chainguard). You will know soon enough....the chainguard should have the silkscreened model name revealed once you wash the grime off. The serial number should be found the lower part of the frame holding the rear axle on the side opposite the chain (the "non-drive axle hanger" in technical terms). From there you can find an online serial number lookup tool that can provide a frame date or you can ask here in the "Schwinn" forum.

Back