When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1957 Schwinn American

• Thread starter Ronn's Vintage Bikes
  • Start date
-
R

Ronn's Vintage Bikes

Just picked this up on FeBay for $150.00.
Check out the front caliper brake. Also a 2 speed manual bendix hub. This bike came stock this way. Don't see this front very often.

Attachments

• 57 American.JPG
    57 American.JPG
    70.9 KB · Views: 674
Great Deal!

Sweet bike,You out bid me for that one! I wasn't paying attention towards the end. I'll bet it rides like new. Good for you!

Pat

57 Jag

Sorry Pat, I though it went too easy. I know how that not paying attention thing goes! Ronn

The bolt-on front brakes came stock on the 2 speed Americans for several years in the 1950s. A neat thing to be sure, and a pretty desirable accessory.
Cheers, Geoff

Nice bike! Is there a cable hanger sticking out from the headset? I'd appreciate it if you could post a picture of that. I have a set of brakes, a bike, but no hanger.

Last edited:
Hi Andrew. I am still waiting for the bike. Should get before weeks end. Here is the item # for ebay ( 260461034824). There is several photos of the brake system but I will post better photos when the bike arrives. Ronn

Thanks for the auction ID! If you could post a picture of the cable hanger when it rolls in I would appreciate it.

Found a set on ebay #: 290343478253. Some interesting photos. Hope mine has all those signatures.

Last edited by a moderator:
If I remember correctly, these didn't have a cable hanger. The brake cable for these bikes is a special-made unit that is self-contained, pretty clever, and now quite hard to find. Think these might have come with a wire clip to keep the cable from flopping around too much.
Cheers, Geoff

Back