When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1957 Schwinn Hornet Restoration

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
Your doing the lords work right there! That looks great! I cant say enough jus a lil wd40 and steel wool!

Rust off the rims

Damn thats like night and day! How did you get the rust off of the rims so well? WD & 0000 ?

Bit by bit. I consumed a little WD-40 along the way. Some rust could not be removed, but became blackened. I had a scrap wedge of pine that allowed me to grip, apply pressure against the 0000 and get in close without damaging the paint. It's not perfect but I tried to make each part as good as I could. I was very fortunate that it was 99.9% complete. It just needed some help. Thanks for the comments.

Very nice bike, and great job on the preservation. I just picked up a 56 hornet that I will be doing the same style refurbish on. aside from clolor its very similar to your before pics.

IMAG1398-1.jpg

Very nice bike, and great job on the preservation. I just picked up a 56 hornet that I will be doing the same style refurbish on. aside from clolor its very similar to your before pics.

IMAG1398-1.jpg

That black and cream will look real nice. There are so many variations in the years. Enjoy it, because soon it will be over and the next one will be hard to find.

Doesn't look like a 57

By 1957 the hornet was a different beast. Middleweight bike, skinny fenders, bolt on kick stand, cheaper feather guard. A cheapo'd out version of the OLD (your bike) Hornet. Yours must be early 50s. No way 57

57 should be a 52

By 1957 the hornet was a different beast. Middleweight bike, skinny fenders, bolt on kick stand, cheaper feather guard. A cheapo'd out version of the OLD (your bike) Hornet. Yours must be early 50s. No way 57

You are correct. I was so much into the "project" I misread the SN or looked it up wrong. In fact it was a '52 not a '57. Thanks!

This thread is documenting my 1957 Schwinn Hornet Restoration. The goal was to use everything on the bike as I found it, and do all the work. If a part was rusty, I cleaned it. I was not able to salvage the Cadet speedometer, the front basket, some Delta Rocker Ray parts and I am currently rebuilding the seat with what I could use. It was missing an AS seat bolt and a carrier reflector. I will add photos as the rebuild progresses. Here are some photos as I found it.

I look forward to seeing the pictures im currently doing a panther. have fun

Nice!

I did in fact have 2:51 and completely enjoyed your video! Love the music as well...did you compose that piece? The bike looks great and I do believe they have a voice if you listen hard enough. Yours is saying "Thank you" :)

Back