When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1957 Schwinn Phantom code B58767

-

Ajuddy

'Lil Knee Scuffer
What are the color combos for this year bike. I just bought one that has been repainted a couple of times over the years. As I get down to the base coats the two colors are white and red. Was these colors an option in 1957?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Once a frame is repainted you never know for sure what it originally was, unless you were the original owner. Even then it can be hard to prove. About a year after the reproduction Phantom fever broke and you could buy them in the $1,300 range ( I bought one of each color for $1,200 each from Bob's Schwinn in Rome, GA ) there appeared a lot of 50-55 so called restored Phantoms. IE: had a good serial number and and frame was freshly painted and the repro parts ended up on them. Every now and then I still see one of these pop up.

Sounds like it could be a B6. But we need pictures.

256d18a32538660d9aeb98945aed184d.jpg
534d779845b014e0858c2c4cc219d3e0.jpg
2f1072e640d58415b1b75d5499b9352d.jpg
7fa2bf2e2b40a066d59afcd0a7ccc58d.jpg
4d9a54305511579c927baf918e4cf175.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It is definitely either a phantom or a B6. Really the only differences are chrome fenders on the phantom, painted on the b6,
Both had different paint schemes and the seats were different. This bike has a phantom seat. Does not necessarily mean it's a phantom, as it could have been changed at some point.
It's hard to tell what's going on there with so many layers of paint, but the red and white does not look like the original paint to me.
I see some green in there, is it possible that might be the original paint? It's hard to tell from the pics. The combination of green paint, green grips and phantom seat makes me think it could be a green phantom.
Looks like it's all there so it's a good starting point for a project.

Edit: I thought that looked like a schwinn grip when I was looking at it on my phone. Now that I'm looking at it on the computer, it looks like it may not be a schwinn grip.

Last edited:
When I bought it I thought it might be a green bike but the grips are not original and there were drops of green paint on it. Thanks for the help and I will post pictures when it's done!
Andy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'd be hoping for a 1953 Streamliner if it was red and white. Phantoms were red with black accents, black with red accents and green with black accents. Looks like a 4 hole carrier though, but the carrier with the light was available on the B6.

Wow what a collection of paint colors! B6? Streamliner? Phantom? Or a combo of all of them lol
Darcie

Last edited:
MOST LIKELY A BLACK PHANTOM.
YOU CAN FIND AN ORIGINAL COLOR IN THE BOTTOM BRACKET HOUSING WHEN YOU TAKE THE CRANK/SPROCKET OUT.
ALSO WHEN YOU TAKE THE FORK OUT OF THE FRAME THERE SHOULD BE OVERSPRAY ON THE STEER TUBE.
IF YOU OR YOUR BUYER WANT A SMOOTH BRASS KEY CUT TO FIT THE CYCLE LOCK
OR A BROKEN KEY REMOVED OR LOCK REPAIR, I CAN HELP!
EMAIL ME DIRECT AT [email protected]
WES PINCHOT

Back