When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1957 Schwinn Traveler color?

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
Thanks. I respect your knowledge. Radical difference from the other Travelers shown. Very simple look

Here's a Grape looking one. I mean great. ha! Eric Amlie is the owner.

1663040854759.png

Hi Everyone,
I own the '57 Opalescent Gold Traveler pictured in the original post. My friend Paul posted it as I was not a member of the cabe at that time. I bought an n.o.s. chainguard from Bob U., a fellow caber, to keep with the bike. The guard had a small tag and pouch, with mounting hardware attached to it. The tag had writing on it that said "Opal Gold". The bike has not been repainted or touched up, just cleaned and waxed. Aside from the two year only decals ( for the Traveler), it has other oddball features as well. It has an Austrian made 3-speed hub and a "pill box" trigger shift. The headbadge is winged with shiny red letters. I like bikes that have interesting paint colors and that was what drew me to this one. I installed the St. Christopher rear reflector, which I purchased years ago from "Bad" Bob S.
Thanks, Mike (kostnerave)

1957 Schwinn Traveler 010.JPG

1957 Schwinn Traveler 015.JPG

1957 Schwinn Traveler 019.JPG

1957 Schwinn Traveler 017.JPG

1957 Schwinn Traveler 014.JPG

1957 Schwinn Traveler 023.JPG

1957 Schwinn Traveler 007.JPG

1957 Schwinn Traveler 013.JPG

Sturmey Archer periodically battled copy cat designs of the AW, both in Britain and continental Europe. SA did license some of the hubs, but they had to fight some unauthorized attempts at copying as well. The period of 1955-59 was also difficult because of the model SW hub debacle, with many hubs malfunctioning and causing customer complaints at greater rates than the AW.
SA parts, while not as expensive as many continental racing parts, were not "cheap". There was a premium for a SA-equipped bike over the basic models.
So in that period you see some of the bike manufacturers using alternative parts sources that do what the AW and accompanying shifter do, but not that are not made by SA itself.

Back