When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1958 black phantom missing locking fork key.

-

Graffet

Look Ma, No Hands!
I’m in search of assistance to get a new key for my 1958 schwinn black phantoms locking fork made. The serial number for the bike is E839430. I would like to do this without taking the fork off and disassembling anything. If there’sa way to take the lock assembly out without damaging anything that would be great.

218C84CA-4354-45BF-AC95-8770FE2D52E2.jpeg

Is there a number on the cylinder? Wes was cutting new keys, but it seems he hasn't been back after moving. Maybe email him and see if he is still reachable by email. Check post #17

Is there a number on the cylinder? Wes was cutting new keys, but it seems he hasn't been back after moving. Maybe email him and see if he is still reachable by email. Check post #17

Where on the cylinder? I posted a picture of the key hole.

It should be on the outside face of the cylinder. Your cylinder may have been replaced if not there.

Looks like there is something there but the pictures are pretty bad. The two on the right. At 2:00 you can see some stampings.

Do you know how to lock and unlock the fork? With the wheel turned to the left you lock the fork and then you can pull out the remains of the key and possible have one made at a locksmith shop.

fb7c1246-1a45-4201-a00f-0dedd569afdb-jpeg.jpg

I see what you mean. Yeah looks like mine doesn’t have any stamping. This makes things difficult…

Looks to me like your fork lock key is broken off inside the tumbler.

Any good locksmith (note, there's not many left) can pop that broken end out and cut you a new key from the end he removes.

If you have to do it the hard way you need to remove the welch plug on the bottom of the fork stem and remove the tumbler from the fork stem. It might just be quicker for you to remove the fork stem and headset then you will be able to see what your working on, and be able to take the fork stem "only" to your local locksmith.

John

Looks to me like your fork lock key is broken off inside the tumbler.

Any good locksmith (note, there's not many left) can pop that broken end out and cut you a new key from the end he removes.

If you have to do it the hard way you need to remove the welch plug on the bottom of the fork stem and remove the tumbler from the fork stem. It might just be quicker for you to remove the fork stem and headset then you will be able to see what your working on, and be able to take the fork stem "only" to your local locksmith.

John

I had broken a key off in a deadbolt on my door a few years ago. I removed it from the door, then took it to a hardware store to match it up and get a new one. When I showed it to the guy behind the counter, he laughed, and then went and got a set of small picks. He got the key out, and then cut me a new key for $2 bucks!

23UN09_AS01.jpg

Back