When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1958 Evans Colson Firebird

-

rick whitehurst

Finally riding a big boys bike
Hello, very new here and lots to look and learn! Yesterday picked up this middleweight EVANS (Colson) "Firebird" and after some work took it for a ride. Very nice. And now so many questions. I have seen only one picture of this particular bike in an illustrated catalog thats for sale on ebay. says 1958. I have the original seat and original truss rod forks in a bag I got with the bike, but the seat is in bad shape... It almostly looks to be there but has schwinn grips... missing pedals.... It's pretty clean except for washed out pinstriping. It has a three speed sturmey archer that works fine, front caliper brakes that I removed temporarily. The pic looks blue but its a candy apple green.

So a short list of questions for those in the know about these later model Evans.

did it come with a spring fork? (the one on it now is a JC Higgins from 60s)
Was there a headlight setup for these?
Is there a Tank for these?

Thanks everyone. Pic on the way from my Ipad.

Last edited:
2 pictures

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Wondering if Evans had springer forks or tanks for any of their later model middleweights?

Very upset that when I started to clean it (it was filthy) the white lettering and pinstriping started to wash off like chalk. I stopped quickly enough but did lose some of it. I will apply a clear coat or fixative over the remaining white lettering. I know a pinstriper in town.

Last edited:
That white stripe over the chrome fenders comes off very easily. I had an Evans Viscount 700 some time ago. Cool bikes and not very common at all. Hang on to it, you won't see many around like it.

Mike

That white stripe over the chrome fenders comes off very easily. I had an Evans Viscount 700 some time ago. Cool bikes and not very common at all. Hang on to it, you won't see many around like it.

Mike
Yeah, with all the competition from schwinn and huffy at the time, I doubt they sold many of these.

I dont know about money value but those look they may be early 60s and they are great colors. I actually prefer the painted fender to the chrome. less "stuff" like racks, tanks, struts, but the evans cantilever frames look sharper (to me) than the schwinn frames mostly due to the bottom tube. but look!!.....

evanstank.jpeg

Last edited:
Evans Viscount 700

I don't usually resurrect old threads, but I'm still trying to date my Evans Viscount 700 mens and found this thread. I differ with the statement that only the 800 series had the "Evansaction" front suspension. Mine is quite original and as you can see has the springer front end.

Still trying to nail down a year for this bike.

View attachment 207800View attachment 207801View attachment 207802

Thanks,

Mike

This was placed by me some time ago. Only pictures I have of the Evans I had. Sold some time ago. Cool looking bike I think.

Mike

Back