When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1958 Evans Colson Firebird

-
Those pics have all the answers ... Thanks Mike. the search is on. I dont think this tank/light will be very easy to find. I have seen the springers on ebay at a price though. did the viscount and the firebird use the same platform (frame fenders etc.) because If all it takes to go deluxe is change the name of the bike on the chainguard... I'd do it. haha.

Pretty sure the frame is the same, but that's about it. As you know, front fork with "springer" ( which really was mostly just for looks as the only real spring action came from a piece of rubber between the fork and the frame), the fenders, rear carrier, chain guard and the tank will be very hard to find. If you are looking to create the high end model, good luck. I've only seen one other 700 and it was a mess.

Mike

Yeah, I think I'll put the truss rods back on mine and be happy with what I have... but still want that tank. :)

besides... I like the rack on my Firebird better. I like the chainguard on my firebird better, because they are more old school.

My 'bird has a '57 dated S/A hub, and didn't have a springer or tank.
adamtinkererscollection016.jpg

My 'bird has a '57 dated S/A hub, and didn't have a springer or tank.
adamtinkererscollection016.jpg
its exactly like mine. I have broken bowed pedals, those same white grips, a same seat but with geen & white diamond pattern. I have the original forks and truss rods just like yours in a bag I got with bike that I will put back on tomorrow. Our bikes are almost identical except for the seat and pedals.

Last edited:
mine has the seat pictured in this ad, and thats the only difference between 57and 58 I bet. we are both missing the light... I have a tab riveted on the top of truss bracket that held the lamp bracket and its broken off.

evans colson.jpg

Parts going back on bike tomorrow. IM hoping i can find matching material so I can make the seat over. Where in the world will I find green diamond vinyl... Geez. If by chance I find a tank and a colson springer I may put them on for kicks.

image.jpeg

Last edited:
Back