When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1958 Raleigh

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
Rebuilt the rear wheel with a 4 speed FW hub dated 1956. It's tensioned, trued and set up with the tire. I still have to blow WD40 through the innards, grease the bearings, and add 20 weight oil. It's not a big task, just sort of messy. I will get pictures when the weather improves.

The bicycle is coming together. I am now down to setting up the shifter with a fresh cable, rebuilding the pedals, and test riding. The plan at this point is to have it be a four speed with the 1956 FW hub and a 2:1 sprocket to cog ratio. It should climb like a chimp and be a good bike for hilly terrain as well as runs on the bike trail and around town.

http://bikeshedva.blogspot.com/2014/03/1958-raleigh-sports-bicycle-progress.html

IMG_3078JPG-1.jpg

IMG_3082JPG-1.jpg

Update:

http://bikeshedva.blogspot.com/2014/06/1958-raleigh-sports-update.html

june2014004JPG-1.jpg

The stock fork came with the bike and had a little twist to the blades. It wasn't much and it rode well, but it worsened a bit when I hit a large pothole a few weeks ago. I'm pretty good about avoiding them, and this is the first I've hit in about nine years. I located a 1950s period "heavy duty" replacement fork. The Raleigh spares book describe this new fork that way, and it appears to be a heavily-built, Rudge style fork with "Raleigh Industries" decals and Sir Walter Raleigh images.

Back