When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1958 Raleigh

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
Raleigh chainguards

Quick question Mike...........was the chainguard optional? I see no marks or anything where there should have been one on mine.

Actually I can see the chainguard bracket on your frame there - it attached to the guard by pinching a piece of sheet metal. The rear end of it had a p-bracket or whatever they're called that clamped to the seat stay. It's not hard to find Raleigh chainguards for sale, but I've never seen one with an Eaton label. I've never heard of an Eaton for that matter - was that a Canadian brand?

Stan in Indy

Yes, Eaton's was a Canadian department store. Raleigh contracted to have some of their second rank bikes branded Eaton's for Canadian sale. They're like a Nottingham Hercules or Phillips type bike. The flagships were Raleigh, Rudge, and Humber. Hercules, Phillips, Eaton's, etc. were like a budget variation of the Sports.

You are correct about that clamp. That clamp hold a protruding piece of metal from the chain guard. Raleigh actually went to that set up in the late 1970s for its own bikes.

A little more clean up, and driving out damaged rivets using a small punch.

http://bikeshedva.blogspot.com/2014/01/polishing-and-cleaning-bicycle-paint.html

IMG_3004JPG-1.jpg

IMG_3011JPG-1.jpg

Bike looks great!

Hi Mike! I'm so glad that this bike went to such a loving home and is getting the attention it deserves! It looks very very good so far, I can't wait to see the finished product.

I may swap the SW for an FW four speed. I recently picked up this 1956 Sturmey Archer FW. The SW has a pretty bad reputation for camming out of gear in 2d and 3d at the worst time... I'm on the fence about it. I like bikes original, but the FW with 24 tooth cog would give the bike outstanding climbing ability using a period correct hub.

http://bikeshedva.blogspot.com/2014/01/1958-raleigh-sports-hedging-bets-with.html

IMG_3001JPG-1.jpg

IMG_3004JPG-2.jpg

Last edited:
Back