When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1958 Schwinn Phantom

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
I agree...and now that people know the table you want to sit at (LOL), I am sure there are several similar deals to be found right here...how was that for a lead-in. Can you tell I have a Phantom for sale? Heck, doesn't everybody. And I will tell you every wrong part on it...his deal may very well be worth 750 but I am very suspect and doubt it would be worth any more than that and only a really knowledgeable buyer should go after it...but that is only my opinion...

Then again, it may not hurt to take a look? If he takes some photos and posts them, we could help him?

I agree. Before I ever bought my first bike I spent a month researching and asking questions. They did make a Phantom in 1958. Actually they were made from 1949-59. You should be able to verify the year by the serial # on the rear drop out although if this is a resored froame you will never know if it started as a Phantom or not. v/r Shawn
Steve,
Not that I have been to Las Vegas or gamble much, but when I do, I play small hands in the games I am not versed in.
If you cannot determine authenticity or add up the parts in your head for what they are, you should not sit at the 750.00 table.
The adrenaline will subside.
Black Phantoms come up all the time, if you pass, it's not a rare opportunity missed.

Talewinds,
I am going to look at it tomorrow after work. I am pretty anxious about it. After all the input from everyone here (much appreciated), talking with the seller and doing more research, I am still considering it. He seems to know what he is talking about and says that most everything is correct on the restoration. I will let you all know what happens.
Steve, so did you buy the bike? See the bike? I'm optimistic, hope you landed something cool.

Stood Up

I think I've been stood up. I was supposed to meet the seller today. I called him this morning to confirm a meeting time and he has not returned my call. We had planned to meet directly after work. Oh well, that made the decision much easier.

The guy actually tells people"I dont have pictures so get bent"?? in his add.I would avoid and tell him to get bent.Wait for a real Phantom to come along for that price.

The guy actually tells people"I dont have pictures so get bent"?? in his add.I would avoid and tell him to get bent.Wait for a real Phantom to come along for that price.

No, the advert. did not say "I dont have pictures so get bent", that's why I said "more or less", because that's "more or less" what the seller was alluding to in his ad.

Sorry Steve, was probably sold already. St. Louis Craigslist/bicycles is an EXTREMELY contentious place. Desirable bikes last minutes, literally, and REALLY desirable bikes, well, let's just say I've seen the darker, very undesirable side of bike collectors.

Well....... good news. The guy finally called me. He had been going through a lot of personal issues and had not returned my calls due to that. He called last night apologizing about his behavior, turned out to be a really nice guy! He came by my work with it and... I just bought the bike! It looks really nice. He did a good job on the restoration as far as I can tell. I'll post pictures later. I am totally stoked about it! It is missing two things: The seat post and the steering head nut. Anybody have either of these two items?

Last edited:
No, the advert. did not say "I dont have pictures so get bent", that's why I said "more or less", because that's "more or less" what the seller was alluding to in his ad.

Sorry Steve, was probably sold already. St. Louis Craigslist/bicycles is an EXTREMELY contentious place. Desirable bikes last minutes, literally, and REALLY desirable bikes, well, let's just say I've seen the darker, very undesirable side of bike collectors.
Man you are not telling me anything new about CL St. Louis. I thought for sure he had sold to someone offering more or something. I buy and sell quite a few Mountain and Comfort bikes. The good deals rarely last long. People must live on CL.

Back