When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1958 Spitfire

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
W

Wha'ppen

Hello all, I'm a bit of a nuby to all this, but was wondering If it would be possible to convert my 1958 Schwinn Spitfire middleweight into a balloon tire bike. If so, are there any special modifications I have to do.

Thanks,

Last edited by a moderator:
well one thing is that your s7 rims are not going to be the right size for balloon tires. So you'd have to switch to s-2s. Second your fenders are a bit smaller so most likely bigger fenders. Also your front fork will have to be changed out to fit the larger tires and fender. Then you have the problem with the rear section which is smaller than a balloon tire. So somehow you'd have to enlarge that section. So really you need to just bye a balloon tire bike . Show a picture of your spitfire and you never know someone on thecabe might want to trade you or buy your bike in return you can get a balloon tire bicycle

or...

Or you could just put balloons on it and ride it without fenders, eliminating the problems militarymonark was talking about:
"Then you have the problem with the rear section which is smaller than a balloon tire. So somehow you'd have to enlarge that section. ..."

well one thing is that your s7 rims are not going to be the right size for balloon tires. So you'd have to switch to s-2s. Second your fenders are a bit smaller so most likely bigger fenders. Also your front fork will have to be changed out to fit the larger tires and fender. Then you have the problem with the rear section which is smaller than a balloon tire. So somehow you'd have to enlarge that section. So really you need to just bye a balloon tire bike . Show a picture of your spitfire and you never know someone on thecabe might want to trade you or buy your bike in return you can get a balloon tire bicycle
Hey thanks for the info, I think I'm going to keep the bike the way it is, and take your advice. Now I need to get me a bigger bike.

schwinn Balloon on S-7

you can purchase tires for s-7 rims that are 26x 13/4 x 2.0 . they are balloon size that fit S-7 rim. In 90% of cases they fit into midweight fenders. I have done this to several midweights for a "beefy" look

Back