When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1959 1960 Raleigh Robin Hood Sports 26" Three Speed 3 English Racer Touring Bicycle

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
Sorry about your name, auto-correct. They’re so much smarter than us..

Hi @Muji In this condition, I'd use a light soapy water washing and thoroughly dry. WD-40 and 0000 steel wool used gently on areas with rust, being careful around decals as previously mentioned. On the chrome, a brass brush and WD-40 and 0000 steel wool followed by a metal polish.
For the paint, lightly use a Rubbing compound...then a Polishing compound...then a Polish...and lastly a Carnauba wax.

This is how I do all of my bikes, depending on the condition I receive them. 🙂 I usually go through 1-2 rolls of paper towels for all of this, but a cloth for the final waxing.

Last edited:
Hi Joe. Nice grab, that is a nice bike. I bought a 1961 Raleigh that rivals yours as far as dirt and gtime is concerned. I’m gonna wash multiple times with Dawn detergent before trying to get oxidation off the paint job. Being that I am new at this, you got any suggestions for restoring/polishing the paint without harming the decals? I appreciate any insight you can provide, thanks.
use mild methods to clean so as not to damage paint (fragile), chrome, transfers/decals. Do not do OA bath as acid is indiscriminate. Do not use Aluminum foil on chrome ( this just smear Al everywhere) . Do use Brass bristled brush or bronze wool and wd40 (or equivalent) as lubricant on chrome . Make sure brass bristles are solid and not plated. Scouring pads scratch so that’s a no no. Soft toothbrush is ok for nooks but be careful around lug lining /pin stripes /decals/transfers as if too aggressive possible you can remove. Do not use simple green standard version (that eats Aluminum) instead use aviation version or Pro HD version. Evaporust is ok as long as part is submerged completely . Do not use evaporust on anodized parts. Recommend just soap water and wax on paint. Any wax ok but the best is microcrystalline wax. in cases of oxidation, milder methods first e.g. polishing compound before trying more aggressive rubbing compound etc. and not on pin stripes, decals, etc.

@Muji Here's an example of mine...Before and After... on a 1945 Schwinn. I used all of the methods I told you that I use, to remove baked in dirt from over the years.

You'll never get this look with just a wash and a wax. Wax is just a protectant to be used after the paint is all smooth and shiny. 😎

IMG_2094.JPG

IMG_2336.JPG

Nice start!! You can use an old toothbrush with WD-40 on it for cleaning the crank and hubs. That dried grease will have preserved the chrome!

BTW...Fantastic and an old toothbrush works great on grips! 🙂 Follow with ArmorAll on them.

Back