When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1959 Columbia Thunderbolt Resto

-

theblueocean

On Training Wheels
Hi all-

This is my first post here, but your many posts and suggestions have been vital to my progress on my first bike restoration. So, thank you!

In February I came across a derelict 1959 Columbia Thunderbolt with shot bearings, stripped axles, lots of rust...but a cool Peewee Herman mojo to it. It didn't seem to have much collector value as-is, and I decided to spruce it up as a project to get me through the Covid Winter. I scoured for parts I could source inexpensively, rebuilt anything that was supposed to turn, did my best attempt with some rattle cans of paint, recreated the artwork in Adobe Illustrator and printed reproductions...and got her rolling again. It probably still has the same financial value after all my hard work (that being close to zero), but it was a great learning experience for me. My 10-12yo kids love it, and are looking forward to riding it around the block.

I'll share a few pictures on this post, but I have lots more. If interested in seeing more or higher resolution versions, the full photo archive of my restoration can be found at my Dropbox folder here.

I'm next thinking about reupholstering the saddle with a tan/brown leather, but haven't gotten to that yet and haven't decided whether I'm committed to it yet.

Now I'm inspired to build a clunker to partner an old straight-bar frame with modern drivetrain, rims, etc.

Again, thanks to everyone here for the inspiration!

IMG_8590.jpg

IMG_8612.jpg

IMG_8600.jpg

This is fantastic! Nice work theoceanblue. I’d love to pick your brain about the restoration. I’m new to this forum and new to bike restorations and picked up a 1961 womens thunderbolt.

Back