When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1959 Jaguar Mark IV Build - The Partsuar

-

soddruntlestuntle

Wore out three sets of tires already!
My mind works in strange and mysterious ways-- just ask my wife. So I had this set of early sixties middleweight fenders laying around, a set that I'd bought for my '54 Corvette, hoping they would fit (editors note: they did not). And I had a nice set of m-weight handlebars, along with a mint Mayweg two-stage front rack. Well hell, it's almost Christmastime and I have no money or free time, let's build a new bike!

So I found this 7/1959 Jaguar frame on the Book of Face Marketplace. It's far from pristine, but it's clean. Was originally a coaster brake model, I'll be converting to 3-speed and hand brakes.

317860894_10227565043502146_8912711316769469861_n.jpg

So now what? Well, I definitely needed a wheelset, and decent ones are not cheap 'round these parts. And I STILL needed fenders for my 'Vette...

Welcome, Little Red Corvette. Also found this one on FBM. It had been for sale for quite a while, assumed it hadn't sold because it's a 'Girls Bike' (also because, as I found out when I disassembled it, the fork is bent).
thumbnail_IMG_6688.jpg

It's a very original '56 model in remarkably good condition. I almost hate to canibalize her.

Now I've got a wheelset for the Jag, and a set of fenders I KNOW will fit my 'Vette. Win/Win.

thumbnail_IMG_6787.jpg

Almost everything accounted for, except a fork crown, the rear rack, and a teardrop reflector. Crown in route, the others will have to wait.

Was really wanting to buy an original tank, but the prices are WAY over my meager budget, so a repop version from Bicyclebones will have to suffice.

thumbnail_IMG_6806.jpg

And not only am I going to need to paint this, because the other chrome bits show some wear & tear, I'm going to have to relic the tank to make it look period correct. Luckily I do have some experience aging chrome, from relicing guitars. Anyone have experience painting these badboys?

thumbnail_IMG_6788.jpg

Hope to do further assembly this next week. Think I'll wait until the weather warms up a bit to paint the tank. Looking forward to getting it out on the road!

Last edited:
You can get a brand new identical piece for $50 shipped. Can you beat that deal by 50%?

Stupid me. When I bought my frame, the seller basically reneged on including the fork with the purchase, so I had to go and find my own. Well, I did indeed find one, but the fork I purchased was off a Corvette, which of course never came with a fork crown, and, well you can see where this is going.

65E93618-5464-4D5D-9439-6EBCDC539123.jpeg

A few more shots of where things stand. Need to get the S-A thumb shifter dialed in, and work on finishing the repop tank. That may have to wait for Spring, because it’s definitely not painting weather right now.

9A06DCAE-208B-41A6-8C9D-5B49365F87FE.jpeg

The rear rack should be delivered Monday, and while I ended up purchasing a teardrop reflector, I kind of like the simple round shape as it is. We’ll see.

E0B740F1-1435-407A-AC10-9B7232ADE451.jpeg

7A200548-1A0E-44B9-A164-A233FFA3C7AF.jpeg

338910EC-93B2-4664-ABC2-C07B6BBE7AC0.jpeg

Back