When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1959 Norman-Built Western Flyer Cantilever

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

Oilit

Cruisin' on my Bluebird
I posted about going to pick up this bike here:
But this thread is on the bike itself, so this is probably the more appropriate section. I had the handlebars out today to adjust the head set bearings and took some detail pictures while I was at it. The seat is a Lycett and maybe a little older than the bike, but it fits. The brake levers and calipers have no visible markings but they look identical to the ones on a late '50's Phillips I have, so I'm guessing these are Phillips as well. The head set is marked T.D.C. and I was expecting the rims to be Dunlops or maybe BCC, but they're "Jointless", a name I've never seen before. The front hub is marked "H R Patent Pending, Made in England", nothing else that I can see. The red paint is faded pretty bad on one side (maybe exposed to the sun on that side) and the decals are pretty worn, but you can still see where they were. And comparing the lines of the two frames in the last picture, they're very similar despite different details.

20230305_161448.jpg

20230305_161336.jpg

20230305_160212.jpg

20230305_155844.jpg

20230305_155903.jpg

20230305_155807.jpg

20230305_141614.jpg

20230305_142714.jpg

20230305_142743.jpg

20230305_142757.jpg

20230305_142810.jpg

20230305_143428.jpg

20230305_160948.jpg

20230305_163431.jpg

-----

thanks very much for the new thread and additional imagery

since you have determined arrestors to be Phillips it may be that some of the unknown bits are of Phillips/Resilion origin as well...

have not before seen this gusseted shell

have little knowledge of Brit fittings so delighted to defer to those with expertise in the area

-----

Last edited:
-----

thanks very much for the new thread and additional imagery

since you have determined arrestors to be Phillips it may be that some of the unknown bits are of Phillips/Resilion origin as well...

have not before seen this gusseted shell

have little knowledge of Brit fittings so delighted to defer to those with expertise in the area

-----
I noticed that bottom bracket as well. It looks like it must be some kind of cast lug, not sheet metal. And while I'm guessing that the brakes are Phillips, that's subject to change.

NC - 19.jpg

Last edited:
-----

thank you for shell pin-up

distinctive features beyond gusset

both sides have reinforcement lip

socket ends are beveled

lubrication fitting

likely sandcast; investment cast shells begin mcmlxxiii

probably no more than three or four possible producers

if raised markings present on underside this would suggest Brampton

---

back in the dark ages prior to lost wax there were two main techniques for shell fabrication:

a) bulge-forming

b) sand casting

this page illustrates the multi-steps in the bulge-forming process:

estrusione.jpg

Malaguti technique of 1949

three views of a Georg Fischer sandcast shell -

FischerBBshell-0.jpg

FischerBBshell-1.jpg

FischerBBshell-2.jpg

[ images courtesy of bulgier.net ]
-----

Last edited:
-----

thank you for shell pin-up

distinctive features beyond gusset

both sides have reinforcement lip

socket ends are beveled

lubrication fitting

likely sandcast; investment cast shells begin mcmlxxiii

probably no more than three or four possible producers

if raised markings present on underside this would suggest Brampton

---

back in the dark ages prior to lost wax there were two main techniques for shell fabrication:

a) bulge-forming

b) sand casting

this page illustrates the multi-steps in the bulge-forming process:

View attachment 1799458

Malaguti technique of 1949

three views of a Georg Fischer sandcast shell -

View attachment 1799466

View attachment 1799467

View attachment 1799468
[ images courtesy of bulgier.net ]
-----
Your pictures show the differences very well! According to this website, Norman was heavily involved in producing light motorbikes as well as bicycles. I wonder if they produced this casting themselves? The article says the information came from the Norman Cycles Club, but that link no longer seems to work. I'll have to check the underside of the shell and see if there's any markings.

Last edited:
-----

Thank you for this information.

It is a challenge for a bicycle manufacturer to economically operate an in-house foundry.

Even when foundry produced parts carry the brand name of the bicycle they are typically subcontracted pieces.

---

Tail lamp:

wonder if there may have been a relation between Miller brand bicycle lighting products and Tube Investments

noticed that most cycles produced with TI owned names come with Miller lighting kit, unless equipped with SA Dynohub of course...

recognise the machine's tail lamp as one which came on a new three-speed my parents gifted me about 1958. never paid much attention to cycle's brand name; with the perspective of hindsight suspect it may have been a Triumph. livery was red flambouyant with gold lining.

one summer in junior high had the bike locked up in a rack at the school. when came back to it the tail lamp had been disassembled with all of the pieces lying on the ground. perhaps someone was tinkering with it when they got interrupted. all of the bits were there and was able to reassemble it without recourse to tools. so have a good memory of what the Miller tail lamp of the era looks like.

-----

Back