When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1959 Schwinn Spitfire

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

64 Pete

Look Ma, No Hands!
Hi,
I seem to have a '59 Schwinn Spitfire.
Should this have a red and white two tone saddle? With the S on top or without?
Thanks
Pete

DSC00494.JPG

The seat on that might be correct. The Tornado has a similar seat with no front spring.

The 1959 Schwinn catalog doesn’t show a Spitfire. Are you sure of the year? If possible, post a picture of the serial number.

Rivnut,
It does appear in the price sheet for March1,1959 as model K11.
see: https://waterfordbikes.com/SchwinnCat/flschwinn_1951_1960/1959.html
There is an illustration in the 1960 catalog.

Here's the serial number.
Thanks
Pete

View attachment 1842476

I've been trying to find some liturature on these to see what was going on. There is no 1958 catalog so no reference there, and I do know that the early 59 Hornets had a late change over to the new 1959 model and the first ones were built with the 1958 specs. The Spitfire name was first used on the prewar Z model and it was a promotional lost leader model with no Schwinn warranty or any ordering options. It was definitely a no bling model but it did have a weird rear carrier and tank. So from day one the Spitfire has been at the bottom of the totem pole. That March 59 price sheet has the Spitfire priced at $46.95 and the new promo lost leader model the Tornado is priced at $41.95. The frames were different and the Spitfire had the built in stand where the Tornado had the bolt on piece. I wonder if that warrants a $5 difference or if there was maybe one other feature on the Spitfire, like an upgraded seat. Here's what is said to be 1959 model, but in many cases the bike will have a late year serial number and it was actually built in the next year. This is the cleanest original untouched Spitfire I can find, but is it really a 59, or is it a 1960 with a December 59 serial number? No mention of the SN or a picture of it.

img_2148-jpg.jpg

Last edited:
The 1959 Schwinn catalog doesn’t show a Spitfire. Are you sure of the year? If possible, post a picture of the serial number.
Riv,
The 1957 Schwinn Fair Trade Prices page listed Model #F11C Spitfire for $49.95. The girls' Spitfire was shown in the 1957 Clint Walker Customer Handout brochure. The 1958 Schwinn Fair Trade Prices page listed Model #K11 Spitfire for $46.95. The Model #K11 was featured on Page 14 of the 1958 Schwinn Dealer Catalog as a "promotion model" (see below). The 1959 Schwinn Fair Trade Prices page listed Model #K11 Spitfire for $46.95. You are correct, 1959 Schwinn Model #K11 did not appear in the 1959 Schwinn Dealer Catalog. The Spitfire reappeared in the 1960 and the 1961 Customer Handout Brochures, but not in the 1962, 1963, and 1964 brochure editions, et al. Particular attention should be drawn to the model number differences found in the 1957 and 1958 documents.

1688872221550.jpeg

1688872947557.jpeg

Back