When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1959 Schwinn Typhoon Prototype Follow-up (With Pictures)

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
@qwertyuiop , Your Typhoon is for sure an interesting piece considering its unique serial number and that brings up another question, when was the bike was actually built. All the serial numbers for 1962 have a preceding letter which designates the month that serial number was stamped and the following number designates the year. Starting with January (A) the serial numbers started out with A211111 and each month after that the same starting numbers were repeated thru December M211111. Your number was not recorded and there was no mention of there being a stamping error that year. The 1963 and 64 numbers followed that practice starting out each month's first serial as 11111 and then the serial number system changed in 1965. The 65 numbers started with two letters indicating the month and the year and then the serial numbers for each month started out with 00001. At this point there is no telling when your number was stamped or when that stamped drop out was used to build a frame. The 62 Typhoons used the twin straight bar frame where the bars continued into the seat stays and then the 63 Typhoons used the cantilever frame like your bike. If it's possible, I would like to find out if your crank and fork were cast in 1962.

Interesting. I thought the general consensus was that the frames were built and date stamped and placed into inventory, then later frames were built into different models according to some kind of production schedule. So, why would this frame not have been stamped normally after production, but instead get a different serial number? If Schwinn were making a "prototype" bike, they could have pulled any frame out of inventory. The frame itself is not unique, only (potentially) the serial number.

I’m following this thread and is very interesting. I do have an observation ....if it’s a prototype then why the cantilevered frame and not a straight one as in the first production year? I find that odd.

Interesting. I thought the general consensus was that the frames were built and date stamped and placed into inventory, then later frames were built into different models according to some kind of production schedule. So, why would this frame not have been stamped normally after production, but instead get a different serial number? If Schwinn were making a "prototype" bike, they could have pulled any frame out of inventory. The frame itself is not unique, only (potentially) the serial number.

Schwinn bikes had the serial numbers stamped on the component, BB shell, drop out or head tube prior to those parts being used to build a frame. Schwinn was doing this way back in the 30's! The date associated to the serial number is the date the serial number was stamped on the part and the date has absolutely nothing to do with any kind of build including the frame. This fact has been proven over and over again and it has even been mentioned in the Schwinn Reporters.
-
Here's a pre-war Balloon frame with a pre-stamped BB where the number was welded over.

Here's a 1970 Tandem that had two serial numbers, a pre stamped May drop out and a pre stamped May head tube. This was the time when Schwinn switched the serial number location.

1588208917490.png

1588208977176.png

Back