When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1959 Schwinn Typhoon Prototype Follow-up (With Pictures)

-
Schwinn bikes had the serial numbers stamped on the component, BB shell, drop out or head tube prior to those parts being used to build a frame. Schwinn was doing this way back in the 30's! The date associated to the serial number is the date the serial number was stamped on the part and the date has absolutely nothing to do with any kind of build including the frame. This fact has been proven over and over again and it has even been mentioned in the Schwinn Reporters.
-
Here's a pre-war Balloon frame with a pre-stamped BB where the number was welded over.

View attachment 1184067

Here's a 1970 Tandem that had two serial numbers, a pre stamped May drop out and a pre stamped May head tube. This was the time when Schwinn switched the serial number location.

View attachment 1184068

View attachment 1184069
The weld over photo is a good one. Made by humans!

Transition? The straight bar might have been viewed as old fashioned at the time. Trying different looks? That is what a prototype is for

The Schwinn Twin straight bar frames was a new style for Schwinn with a very short production time, and the cantilever frame was old hat at that time. What makes this bike special is if it was produced and sold in 1962, it would be an odd duck since the other 62 Typhoons did not use the old style Cantilever frame. The 1963 model Typhoons changed and were built with the Cantilever frames so the 62 model was a one year only with that continuous twin straight Bar frame.

The Schwinn Twin straight bar frames was a new style for Schwinn with a very short production time, and the cantilever frame was old hat at that time. What makes this bike special is if it was produced and sold in 1962, it would be an odd duck since the other 62 Typhoons did not use the old style Cantilever frame. The 1963 model Typhoons changed and were built with the Cantilever frames so the 62 model was a one year only with that continuous twin straight Bar frame.
I am learning! Interesting! Thanks

I'm thinking it could be a replacement frame, perhaps the bike was originally a typhoon frame, sold in early '62, then something happened to it, and the dealer had one on hand.

thanks for posting and welcome to the cabe @qwertyuiop .
if you'd be able to post a better picture of the serial # it would be a great help.
if you're using a smartphone to take the pic try holding it very steady and touch the screen where you want it to focus before snapping the pic.
don't use the flash, try different lighting and angles, take a bunch of pics and post them: it's free.
barring better pics we'll all have to chalk this up to a mystery/anomaly/headscratcher and move along.

Why was my question deleted? I’m being respectful and simply asking why the hesitation in posting a clear picture?

Why was my question deleted? I’m being respectful and simply asking why the hesitation in posting a clear picture?

thanks, i cleaned up this thread, request for clearer pics has been put out there.
let's see if the OP can provide, if not then so be it.
no need to bash him over the head or cast aspersions.

thanks, i cleaned up this thread, request for clearer pics has been put out there.
let's see if the OP can provide, if not then so be it.
no need to bash him over the head or cast aspersions.

Ok I understand. No bashing intended but the picture is unusable.

This is the best picture I could get.
View attachment 1182970
Schwinn 3456.png

I still don't understand how the number appeared as sharp as it did in the blurry photo that was offered. Anyway, here is a simply-edited version that may help clarify it for those who couldn't read the whole thing.

Back