When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1959 White Corvette

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
I always thought the 2 speed "auto" was offered on Schwinn bikes starting with the 1961 models. 59's had the manual bendix 2 speed coaster.

That should clean up pretty good if you take your time, use the right cleaning products and be careful on the decals and pins.

Mea Culpa!! Gosh you guys are relentless (and knowledgeable:blush:), I always get schooled here.
I spoke too soon making the assumption that the '59 two speed was an "automatic" (kickback). According to TR FIndley http://www.trfindley.com/pgbndxhbs.html the Automatic wasn't made until 1960 and, as @Rusty Klunker said might have been available on a late '59 frame for the 1960 model year but I think an August dated frame wouldn't have made it into the 1960 model year. Now if you want to start a real controversy start asking the Schwinn forum whether you should give it an OA bath.:tearsofjoy:

Anyway it's a very cool bike to have in a collection, congrats on the find!

Mea Culpa!! Gosh you guys are relentless (and knowledgeable:blush:), I always get schooled here.
I spoke too soon making the assumption that the '59 two speed was an "automatic" (kickback). According to TR FIndley http://www.trfindley.com/pgbndxhbs.html the Automatic wasn't made until 1960 and, as @Rusty Klunker said might have been available on a late '59 frame for the 1960 model year but I think an August dated frame wouldn't have made it into the 1960 model year. Now if you want to start a real controversy start asking the Schwinn forum whether you should give it an OA bath.:tearsofjoy:

Anyway it's a very cool bike to have in a collection, congrats on the find!

The red band auto was manufactured from March ? 1960 thru December ?, 1964. I have found no written indication that Schwinn had a mid year change in their drive components in the mid 1960 production. No mention of the 2 speed auto for the 1960 Schwinn models that I have seen and I highly doubt Schwinn used the kickback on any 1960 models due to the last of the first quarter beginning production on these, but anything is possible.

Ok thanks for info , I'll just keep it as a single speed and do a moderate clean up .

You could go with the Bendix 2 speed manual and be correct. That option became available on the 1958 model Corvettes and some had the front caliper and some didn't so no need to change out the fork.

My 58 did come with the front caliper brake but it was a $4.50 add on.

My 58 Vette 1.jpg

Nice find, post up progress pictures as you clean it up. Those decals are hard to come by so be careful with your detailing around them.

Mike

Back