When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1960 - 1961 Schwinn Varsity

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
-----

Thanks very much for posting.

Wonderful condition and so all original.

Interesting to see the Philippe model Nr. 36 stem being worn.

Not usually seen on the Varsity of this time but was one of the two standard models on the contemporaneous Continental so the factory had them in the parts bins.

View attachment 1257437
The 1960 catalogue illustration for the Continental exhibits it wearing a Centrix brand stem from France with the distinctive double binder:

View attachment 1257439

View attachment 1257443

the 1960 catalogue illustration for the Varsity shows it wearing a steel stem as in the photo posted earlier

View attachment 1257447

-----

I'm betting that stem is the AVA that Schwinn used on the Continentals. The Atom pedals probably came off the same Continental parts donor.

1598821472807.png

1598821539139.png

Last edited:
-----

Yes, thank you. Correction much appreciated. It's good there are folk reading who can put right me all too numerous errors! ;)

AVA and Philippe were under the same roof at one time.

Used the Philippe catalogue page because that is what I had and could locate.

It is no accident that the AVA stem on the subject cycle so closely resembles the Philippe model nr. 36.

At one time it was common for French cycle manufacturers to combine a stem badged AVA or ATAX with a bar marked Philippe.

When one gets back into the interwar period there was an alliance with MAVIC. The two names were under the same tent from 1923 until their separation in 1969.

In the past have found some historical information on these badges. If I can relocate it will glue it in...

Apologies again for me goof. :anguished:

-----

Last edited:
Back