When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1960 Continental Tourist

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

comet

Finally riding a big boys bike
Just got this yesterday. It's been a good couple months. Always wanted a suicide shifter. I got it from the original owner's son. As far as he remembers this is how the bike came from the bike store. Welcome all comments.

fxJ8WSlUQDysHSUg3%zfKA.jpg

Z0ItUuh3Srai3jR+++IK9A.jpg

8CoPxdjgToGdwzrUYsT49g.jpg

l77qlP0RSpKeKIlLPYO37Q.jpg

TjKMjPhUQhGTaxPOetBjDg.jpg

By9frjInRn2HR3a1rUz5wA.jpg

IbdI%9QkQ%22u%np2WUCVA.jpg

FSacP3LkRteDtQdx0EPaJg.jpg

rcjKF%GWTyqix+3ulSyfVA.jpg

nJy7DbZTTqua24NDRE4kqA.jpg

E1zaDPoHTVO7Q2Pz2vONnQ.jpg

Pf2NwBasRBmeYKli7xA8LQ.jpg

m6rDabdnSS+x9QQd9jJODA.jpg

3kZWkX3VTxe2mTY4+vEG9A.jpg

BXJpX7TQQnenfzQ1g%2iOg.jpg

PF4x+puNRLqYbEe4AhaVmQ.jpg

hamPe1U2SVKvygp0fpFI2w.jpg

9GUwl8a8Q5y7D358Oxeg4w.jpg

l3HIoa+%RnG%PusKbDMObw.jpg

JsrS01aIQ+aN84LTngBfeA.jpg

gZd7VSE3QEKGwydx8o0v2g.jpg

It did but they were plastic and not many survived. Not a big fan of fenders anyway, weight and noise.

iLuonp+PRKyLUVulS68UAg.jpg

Nice. I hardly ever see an Opal Green Conti. Coppertone must have been the color of the time since most of these that show up are that color. The saddle would have a Made in Holland badge on the rear and these never had a spoke protector. Have fun cleaning it up!

1598406342256.png

Sweet, looks like it will clean up nicely. I have an early 61 in Radiant green, still with the suicide shifter. Very cool bikes, one of my favorites. Congrats!

-----

Thank you for sharing this find!

The Freres Huret Allvit rear mech is a replacement.

Original would have been Juy's Simplex Tour de France.

The Huret mech is some years later than cycle as its pulleys exhibit the plastic "tyres" which did not come into use until the later 1960's. Huret pulleys at this time were all metal.

It is not ideal to mix Huret and non-Huret gear ensemble components in the same ensemble at this era as the Huret mechs require more cable movement than other brands to effect the same amount of derailleur movement. Hence the drums on the Huret shift levers are larger than other makes.

Thanks again for posting. Shall look forward to seeing it post clean-up. ;)

-----

I have a 1960 Continental that also came with the Allvit rear deraileur. I asked a local long time Schwinn dealer about this and he said that it was a common change on the early Continentals as the original derailuers often broke early and the standard replacement was the Allvit and was the standard recommended Schwinn replacement. A couple of pictures of my bike. Roger
IMG_0745.jpeg

IMG_0752.jpeg

Last edited:
Back