When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1960 Huffy Eldorado; What's correct? What's not?

-

krateman

Look Ma, No Hands!
Hey, guys/gals, I just bought my first tank bike a few weeks ago. I think I over-paid for it, considering I don't know anything about Huffy's, so I didn't know what to look for. The seller claimed he didn't know which model it was. I now know I bought, what I feel is a frankenbike. I know it has many incorrect parts on it. Your alls job, is to pick this bike apart and tell me what I need to return it to factory-correct. I know it needs the correct red color. Does anyone have a line on the exact color to spray this bike with? I'll post pics of it very soon, so you can help me out. Thanks to anyone who can point me in the right direction. Also, tell me how much I SHOULD'VE paid for this bike; the price a real collector would've paid for this. I've since found out that it is a 1960 Eldorado. What was the first and last years of this models production? Thanks.

Can someone post my pics of this bike for me? My computer just wont let me do it.

Last edited:
Neat bike, a little damage here and there, but one to overhaul and enjoy as it is.

IMG_7664JPG-1.jpg

IMG_7665JPG-1.jpg

IMG_7666JPG-1.jpg

IMG_7667JPG-1.jpg

IMG_7668JPG-1.jpg

IMG_7669JPG-1.jpg

So, guys, I need to know what's on this bike that is not correct. I know the seat and at least one of the wheels and both tires are not correct. Pick it apart, please. I'd like help putting it back together sometime down the road, to the correct condition. Also, does anyone know how I can get the original paint for this bike? I know if I have a paint sample, I can take it to an automotive body store and get it mixed-up for me. Does anyone have a picture of what the correct, unfaded red looks like? Hell, I'm not sure much of anything is correct on this bike except the tank and chainguard!
I want to give a big thanks to rustjunkie for helping me get these pics posted on this website. Duck also turned me on to a place where I can post my pics and then post the link here.
What is this bike worth?
I have taken most of this bike apart, except for the headset/gooseneck section, which I will do in the near future. What kind of metal was the original spokes made out of? Stainless steel? Cadmium? I should replace them. Should I just use some Evaporust on them instead?
I need all these questions answered from you guys, who know a hell of a lot more than I do. Thanks to all who offer help and/or suggestions. Go C.A.B.E.!

Last edited:
Enjoy that one as it is after practicing on the mechanicals (if you need it), then "cast out" again. It's a neat old bike but not one to sink time and bux into.

I'm by no means an expert on these but I've had trouble trying to sell nice originals of these for more than $100. Looks like a lot wrong and personally I think it would be throwing good money after bad to do much more to this. On the last two bikes I restored I had a little over $2k into them not including the cost of the bike itself. So, unless it is high end or has real sentimental value a true restoration is not for the faint of heart (or wallet!). V/r Shawn

I'm by no means an expert on these but I've had trouble trying to sell nice originals of these for more than $100. Looks like a lot wrong and personally I think it would be throwing good money after bad to do much more to this. On the last two bikes I restored I had a little over $2k into them not including the cost of the bike itself. So, unless it is high end or has real sentimental value a true restoration is not for the faint of heart (or wallet!). V/r Shawn
I echo the above; I purchased a matching pair (boys/girls) in hardly ever ridden, stored indoors since new, condition 2 years ago for $160. After cleaning, new tubes/grease, I just sold them locally (finally) for what I paid for them. I lost money on the deal, when you figure fuel to go purchase them and all new tubes.The couple that bought them were on a tight budget though, and thrilled to have them, so that made it worthwhile, to me. Clean it, ride it, enjoy it until something else comes along. That's what makes this hobby fun (and expensive, but rewarding)...

Back