When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1960 Radiant Red Continental

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
I have the original saddle on my late 61 Tourist and the tag just says "Made in Holland" if I remember correctly. It also baffles me that these early Sport models were not equipped with a reflector.

1961 Continental Tourist 003 (Large).jpg

That’s a neat bike!
Valley Cyclery was a legendary Schwinn store.
The first full concept store of its kind.
The George Garner story is an interesting one, and his idea of the full concept Schwinn store would be the model that all others would follow.

Can we get a close-up of the rims and the stem? That's the nicest one I've seen in a long time!

-----

...some 1960 Connies came through wearing a distinctive double binder stem from Centrix of France. it is the stem shown on the bike in the catalogue illustration. Centrix ceased play in 1962.

---

The AVA on our subject machine appears to be model nr. 35.

-----

-----

...some 1960 Connies came through wearing a distinctive double binder stem from Centrix of France. it is the stem shown on the bike in the catalogue illustration. Centrix ceased play in 1962.

View attachment 1175926

View attachment 1175929

View attachment 1175930

---

The AVA on our subject machine appears to be model nr. 35.

-----
Thanks for the information! I'd heard references to this, but never saw one that I know of. Now at least I'll know one if I see it!

Thanks for the information! I'd heard references to this, but never saw one that I know of. Now at least I'll know one if I see it!

-----

dual binder I-beam/girder stems can be a bit confusing

Reynolds of Britain did one model which at first glance appears nearly identical to the Centrix employed by Schwinn for the Continental of 1960

it seems to have been current at least from roughly the late 1940's through the mid-1950's (estimate)

the first three images below are of a Higgins (not J.C. - this is a marque from Britain)

the fourth image is from a C. Bertrand cycle, also of Britain

experts think both cycles hail from the immediate postwar period

the C. Bertrand bicycle is discussed in this forum thread -

-----

Back