When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1960 Raleigh Sports Gents DL22

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

kostnerave

Finally riding a big boys bike
Here are some pictures of my latest acquisition, a December 1960 Raleigh Sports DL22. To my knowledge, the bike is all original, including tires and tubes. A seat bag and lever covers appear to have been added at a later date. The bike features quality and detail throughout including: "dull" center Raleigh stamped rims, a Brooks B66 saddle, a Sturmey Archer 3 speed rear hub and front Dyno-Hub generator, both dated 12-60, a logo stamped Raleigh air pump and a factory kickstand. I'm a true blue Schwinn collector, but I have to say I'm amazed at the detail on this bike. The Raleigh logo is even stamped on the brake lever clamps! The Dunlop Sports tires and original tubes still hold air and the generator set still works fine. I believe the bike was made for export because the tail light is mounted on the left seat stay. The one question I have about this bike is that I cannot find a catalog picture of a Sports model of this era with a Dyno-Hub generator set, just the Superbe. It's obvious the Dyno set has been on this bike since the day is was made. Any thoughts or comments welcome. Please enjoy the pictures. Thank you!

Raleigh Sports 001.JPG

Raleigh Sports 017.JPG

Raleigh Sports 029.JPG

Raleigh Sports 030.JPG

Raleigh Sports 037.JPG

Raleigh Sports 038.JPG

Raleigh Sports 039.JPG

Raleigh Sports 018.JPG

Raleigh Sports 023.JPG

Raleigh Sports 043.JPG

Raleigh Sports 010.JPG

Raleigh Sports 040.JPG

It's in extraordinarily good condition from what the pictures show. The "dull" center rims are correct and make a nice, subtle variation from later bikes. I see little wear on the running gear, saddle, and shifter. How do the brake blocks look? It could be a bike that was ridden very, very little and then was stored indoors for a long time. You could get the dynohub set and lights on your bike for a little extra money, so I don't see any reason offhand to doubt them being original. The Dunlop Sports tires are nice to find. They were a well-made tire.

Harpo, The red is stunning! I really like the locking fork option on yours, as well. I'm a Schwinn guy, but these old Raleigh's possess a bit of magic. The bike I have has very little brake wear so it must not have been ridden much. Thanks for all of the nice feedback.
Mike

Harpo, The red is stunning! I really like the locking fork option on yours, as well. I'm a Schwinn guy, but these old Raleigh's possess a bit of magic. The bike I have has very little brake wear so it must not have been ridden much. Thanks for all of the nice feedback.
Mike

I thought mine was in as nice a condition as it gets for 60 years old, but yours is outstanding!! @jungleterry keeps asking to buy it, lol.

Back