When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1960 Schwinn Continental...with Suicide Shifter

-
Many of the parts are from the "continent", brakes, rims, hubs, derailleurs, chainrings, saddle, maybe more. I wonder if this has anything to do with the model name. Or is that generally understood ? or just a coincidence? The condition is stunning. The picture add above says "hooded caliper brakes" while the add picture shows un-hooded levers. Maybe the pedals got changed early on ?

-----

front mech -

the cycle's Juy Competition model front mech came through with the metal acorn shaped knob through 1960

1961 was the launch for the ivory coloured plastic knob

this makes me wonder if cycle might be one of the early 1961 models which came with the Juy TdF gear ensemble

Schwinn experts have posted that there were early '61's with this set of gears

if cycle a "1960" model then it must be a very late 1960...

-----

OK...pretty much done...except for tires, pedals, and brake levers. Also, cleanup on the grey cables, etc. Minor detailing.
I also lowered the saddle, and redid the headlight and rerouted the wiring for it.

I just wanted to get it out into the light and see what it looked like in the sunshine. Couldn't be happier so far! 😀

IMG_1382.jpeg

IMG_1376.jpeg

IMG_1377.jpeg

IMG_1378.jpeg

IMG_1379.jpeg

IMG_1380.jpeg

IMG_1381.jpeg

IMG_1383.jpeg

IMG_1384.jpeg

IMG_1385.jpeg

IMG_1386.jpeg

IMG_1387.jpeg

IMG_1388.jpeg

IMG_1389.jpeg

IMG_1390.jpeg

IMG_1391.jpeg

IMG_1392.jpeg

IMG_1393.jpeg

IMG_1394.jpeg

IMG_1399.jpeg

Absolutely stunning! Like a museum piece! I have a 61 with all of the same fittings and decals as the 60’s. I believe most of these I have owned or seen were equipped with the ivory knob on the front derailleur. But I would need to check my serial numbers to see if they are early or late 1960 frames.

What a beautiful Conti. I’ve been looking for one, and know of a tourist model I can purchase that’s in similar condition, but I‘d prefer the sport model like yours. Enjoy!!!

Anyone have an idea as to how many were fitted with the "suicide" shifter? I think some were also used on the Varsity of this year.

Back