When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1960 schwinn corvette handlebar stem questions

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

Maurice

Finally riding a big boys bike
Good morning, I'm currently going thru a 1960 Schwinn Corvette. Came to a hurdle in trying to remove the handlebar stem. It was rusted/welded to the fork steer tube... Unfortunately it came off the hard way. Quick couple questions, was this the correct stem? And in replacing it, would any year Corvette stem work? Or what 26" Schwinn from that era? Boys or girls? Thanks much in advance! Happy holiday weekend to all!

That's a Wald stem. Out of all my Corvettes I have never had one made by Wald. I've heard some say they have encountered Wald stems on their Schwinn bikes, so they could have used those at certain times. I only collect Schwinns and have never once come across a Wald stem. Although my project 1961 Corvette 5 speed had a set of bars with a very small W on the end. Starting with the 1966 models the stems had a smaller OD to allow for the new thicker gauge steerer tubes so only the earlier stems will work unless your fork was replaced. The earlier stems were not marked and wedge on the stem was continuous, not squared off at the bottom and not wedged on the side.

This piece was only used in 1961 along with the standard stem. The cinch bold is vertical.

This one came out sometime in 1962 and the cinch bolt was horizonal. The earlier 60's piece had the cinch bolt in a slight upward angle and it's somewhat unnoticeable.

Ahhh so that's what the "W" on the stem must mean... was wondering, and thought it may not have been an original. It also looks different from my 59 corvette stem. Although I'm not sure that its' original equipment... But I guess that's good news with this stem, since now I don't feel so bad about ruining it. Awesome info again brother. Thank you!!! Now off to find a correct Schwinn stem from that era.

Ahhh so that's what the "W" on the stem must mean... was wondering, and thought it may not have been an original. It also looks different from my 59 corvette stem. Although I'm not sure that its' original equipment... But I guess that's good news with this stem, since now I don't feel so bad about ruining it. Awesome info again brother. Thank you!!! Now off to find a correct Schwinn stem from that era.
This one could work for you. It from a 63

Last edited:
Right? I have some of those larger dia, one off a 57 tiger? Anyhow tiger with wrong dia stem & a repop 21.1mm quill stem? Gap looks lame gonna rechrome one of the older ones
6B5F1217-25E8-4C08-8B4A-11F13A716809.jpeg

Back