When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1960 schwinn corvette handlebar stem questions

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
I personally wouldn't mess with rechroming one of those rolled stems if that's what you're saying here.
No not worth it, I’d re-chrome the wald if anything, got so much crap lying around that was just on the surface of the junk pile, hahaha

I soaked it while the forks were still on the bike for a week with all the standard over the counter lubricants/penetrants. Wouldn't budge. Tried everything, even a sledge hammer. Nothing. Forks needed to be pulled off the bike so we could put them in a vice. Hence cutting the stem in half...
After exhausting every tool I had in my book, I then handed it to my son in law who's a union welder by trade. The photo is an industrial penetrant that they use on job sites. It worked. After 24 hours of soaking, the remainder of the old stem came out. Penetrant, vice, heat and vice grips did the job.
All the Caber input is much appreciated on my end!!! Now to find a Schwinn stem that will work. Phantom has a photo with a very nice stem. I should touch base with him. Thanks again!

IMG_1079.jpg

I agree with the earlier post by Thee, smaller diameter stem doesn't look right. I happen to have a 1967 stem off a womans Schwinn Breeze. Stuck it in the corvette, and too small diameter. Just ran out to the garage and measured the Breeze vs the Wald that came out of Corvette.
Looks like 1/16th difference

IMG_1080.jpg

IMG_1081.jpg

IMG_1082.jpg

IMG_1083.jpg

Last edited:
For info, I found a stem on ebay. "Supposedly" out of a '59 Jaguar for $25. Should be fine. Proof is in the pudding:) A local Norcal Caber was nice enough to part with this bike recently. Photo as started, and now it's starting to go back together.
NOT much original red paint left. BUT...since the original scripts and decals are decent, I decided to leave what's left of the original paint alone. In the process of cleaning up the wheels and seat. Ordered the larger brick whitewall tires.

Any ideas or luck out in the Cabe world on bringing back some color to the Mesinger seat?? I'll post a photo or two when the bike's all back together. Thanks again for all the input and help!

For info, I found a stem on ebay. "Supposedly" out of a '59 Jaguar for $25. Should be fine. Proof is in the pudding:) A local Norcal Caber was nice enough to part with this bike recently. Photo as started, and now it's starting to go back together.
NOT much original red paint left. BUT...since the original scripts and decals are decent, I decided to leave what's left of the original paint alone. In the process of cleaning up the wheels and seat. Ordered the larger brick whitewall tires.View attachment 1656290

View attachment 1656291

Any ideas or luck out in the Cabe world on bringing back some color to the Mesinger seat?? I'll post a photo or two when the bike's all back together. Thanks again for all the input and help!
Nice Man! Glad you got the stem diameter thing figured out, it perplexed me for a minute? Oh ok a slight diff? Always something new to learn! Keeps the hobby interesting! I couldn’t remember both the numbers but after your thread it’s ingrained in my head 🤨, 21.1mm & 22.2mm
Happy 4th! 🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸

How about the upside down “deluxe” upper headset cup & race? I had taken apart the ‘57 tiger apart about six years before I put it back together, luckily I had marked the bag of head set parts ‘57 & was able to figure it out

Back