When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1960 schwinn corvette handlebar stem questions

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
Yup me too. It's the same method I used with my Stingray as a kid back in the 70's.

Here's the old girl going back together. Maybe 90% done. Still waiting on little trinkets to come back, headbadge and rear reflector are at a local pinstripe gal being re-lettered. Handlebars still at chrome shop (they were too far gone). Basically just cleaning, polishing and regrease. She's definitely no prom queen:) I'm thinking just a fun manual 2 speed Corvette to ride.

Polishing wheels has to be the best thing to do if you really want your fingers to bleed. It doesn't hurt as much as smashing them with a hammer. 🤣
I use to unlace all my wheels and polish them. It's much easier than trying to work around spokes. LOL, since I have had carpal tunnel surg. now tendonitis and arthritis in right hand that is no longer an option.

Thanks 49auto! Glad you let me have her. Other than new tires, and used stem, it's basically like it was. I did end up replacing lots of rear spokes. So Gary at El Sobrante Cycles trued it up. He thinks the rear 2 speed hub is earlier than 1960. I dunno. Doesn't matter either way. Basically I just did a little CPR and brought it back to life. Thanks again.
I do agree, it's MUCH easier to polish without the spokes in the way:)

I don't think that the fork was from a 60 Corvette. Looking at the 60 catalog from Schwinn, it looks like the top of the fork had some chrome accents on it (like my 61 Speedster has).

Back