When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1960 Schwinn Racer 3 Speed Pulley Wheel Setup ?

-

Eric Day

Look Ma, No Hands!
Hi, I am fixing up a 1960 Schwinn 3 speed racer, with Sturmey Archer setup, and the pulley that sits just below the seat is missing.

I have a replacement plastic wheel from ebay but do not know exactly how to mount it.

I also have a SA pulley on a clamp that I have taken apart so I see how it works.

I can imagine using a longer screw and have a machine shop make a spacer/mount for me on a lathe but was hoping someone might have actual pics of one they could post. Close up pics from different angles so I can see how it works would be great.

Even somebody just describing to me how the set up works would be great.

Seems like the pulley wheel needs to be spaced a little ways off the frame bracket to fit and for cable not to hit the downtube.

Does anyone have an original pulley mount/spacer/screw they could sell me?

Does anybody know if the pulley wheel on a 1960 would have been plastic or the older metal type?

Welcome to the Cabe! I'd put a post in the Wanted section if I were you, I'm not sure if they were all metal in '60, but either would work.

Someone here knows.

@SirMike1983
@Schwinn499

I believe you need the three parts shown at the far right lower. I've never had one that wasn't a clamp on.

62parts45b.jpg

Hello. Mounting the pulley wheel isn't too bad if you have the right part.
1st the wheel should probably be attached to a clamp that fits on the seat tube. You can easily find one on eBay, etc. Some older bikes have a mount brazed onto the frame as in this picture
image.jpg

...but as you see I didn't have the wheel for that mount so I just used the clamping one. Not sure if your Schwinn would have had a metal or plastic one. Mounting can be at the top or bottom of the tube depending on how your cable was routed. The '60 Panther was routed this way, along the top
image.jpg

You can move it up or down a little if you need to adjust for cable length. The same can be done with the cable stop clamp.
image.jpg

Your cable will attach to the indicator spindle rod and chain and should leave a little room for dialing in the proper shifting tension
image.jpg

Sheldon Brown's site has good tips on getting this adjusted to hit all 3 gears well.
http://www.sheldonbrown.com/sturmey-archer/adj.html
You can see an original white covered cable I routed along the top on this bike
image.jpg

Good luck with it. I'm sure you'll get it right. Post some pics when you get done.

Back