When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1960 Schwinn Varsity 8spd

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
I have both a 60 and 61 Conti with the suicide derailleur, with the 61 being the more rare of the two, I assume. Would love to have one of the 8 speed Varsitys.
There was a pretty good 10 speed on ebay that sold recently - http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-5...0001&campid=5335809022&icep_item=353101055475

And before that another 10 speed - http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-5...0001&campid=5335809022&icep_item=324083259346

Also saw a couple 8 speeds on ebay at end of last year.

Thanks Rennfaron for the info. Both of those examples that sold were nice bikes. I have always enjoyed the earlier road bikes. Looking thru my J C Higgins stuff I came across an ad from 1961 that had one of their early lightweights with a suicide derailleur. I have, I believe, a 1962 example of the Higgins bike. Those bikes I think were built by Puch. Very cool lightweights, also, in my humble opinion.

Thanks Rennfaron for the info. Both of those examples that sold were nice bikes. I have always enjoyed the earlier road bikes. Looking thru my J C Higgins stuff I came across an ad from 1961 that had one of their early lightweights with a suicide derailleur. I have, I believe, a 1962 example of the Higgins bike. Those bikes I think were built by Puch. Very cool lightweights, also, in my humble opinion.
I've seen plenty of the three speeds, but the derailleur bikes have always been the later Sears version. Post up some pictures when you can, if you don't mind.

Will do Oilit. I have two of the Higgins bikes, both with down tube shifters. The gold one is the more deluxe version and the red the lower end model. I believe theses were made out of 531 Reynolds tubing. Also have one of the Sears models. I will try to dig them out ASAP and get some pics posted.

Not a great example...but here is one
Screen Shot 2020-06-18 at 12.49.31 PM.png

Last edited:
Does anybody know what make and model of tire that was originally installed on the
'60 Continentals? I saw, in the '62 Schwinn parts catalog , mention of Wolber and Continental tires, but I wonder if these were used on the "60.

Back