When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1960's JC Higgins BB questions

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

Chiburi

Look Ma, No Hands!
Hi everyone. Just joined. Picked up a mess of a Higgins but that's okay. Going to have to tear it apart. Can anyone direct me on what BB parts I'm going to need and a good source. I believe its a 60's era bike. If anyone could narrow down the age and model that would be great. Pretty much looks like it spent time in a swamp. Needs fenders etc. I wanted to take on a project. I have Tig and Mig welders so any frame issues I can pretty much fabricate. Thank for any help.

s-l400 (26).jpg

Welcome to the Cabe! The badge will say where it was made, could be England, Austria, France, or West Germany. I'd expect the BB parts are similar, but not necessarily interchangeable. Your local bike shop may be able to find what you need, or direct you to a source.

Thanks. The badge says Austria. I tend to stay away from my local bike shops because they have been less than helpful and way overpriced for anything in the past.

Looks like a three piece crank so parts are pretty standard. You'll have a fixed cup with loose bearings on one side, adjustable cup and bearings on the other with a locking ring on it and a spindle in between. The bitch-a-rooni-doonie can be the cotter pins. They can get seized up and become hard to remove and you might ruin them in the process. Having the proper tool can help along with soaking the pin with an oil or solvent of some type.

Here's the tool that I like for that job and the parts that I mentioned. You may be able to find replacements here by posting in the "wanted" forum or search in the parts for sale forum.
The Bike Smith site is a great place for quality cotter pins in my opinion.
image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Looks like a three piece crank so parts are pretty standard. You'll have a fixed cup with loose bearings on one side, adjustable cup and bearings on the other with a locking ring on it and a spindle in between. The bitch-a-rooni-doonie can be the cotter pins. They can get seized up and become hard to remove and you might ruin them in the process. Having the proper tool can help along with soaking the pin with an oil or solvent of some type.

Here's the tool that I like for that job and the parts that I mentioned. You may be able to find replacements here by posting in the "wanted" forum or search in the parts for sale forum.
The Bike Smith site is a great place for quality cotter pins in my opinion.
View attachment 865558

View attachment 865559

View attachment 865560

View attachment 865561

View attachment 865562
Thank you for the information. Any source that you could recommend for the BB parts (Cups,bearings, bearing retainers etc). Maybe even bearing size. I figured they might .25.

i don't know a great source for those replacement parts. I have found some parts on EBay. If you come across a cheap ladies version of that bike you can part that out. If you stay at this you'll want these two Park Tools tools. The HCW-5 and the HCW-11.
image.jpg

If there is a local bike co-op you might find everything you need there.

i don't know a great source for those replacement parts. I have found some parts on EBay. If you come across a cheap ladies version of that bike you can part that out. If you stay at this you'll want these two Park Tools tools. The HCW-5 and the HCW-11.
View attachment 865582
I'm set with those 2 thanks. I will see where I'm at when I pull it apart. Bearings shouldn't be hard to match up. Thanks for your help.

Back