When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1960s (?) Schwinn American Questions

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

shawn57187

Finally riding a big boys bike
I recently acquired a 1960s Schwinn American bicycle for $10 at a garage sale. The bike has some dents and corrosion, but is mostly intact.

I had a few questions...

1. The fenders have some dents. Is there a easy way to pull out these dents?

2. It appears to have the original Schwinn tires. They unfortunately have some cracks. Are these salvageable?

3. Where can I find the serial number? I was unable to locate it on the frame (perhaps I wasn't looking carefully enough). I'd like to know the exact year it was manufactured.

4. Besides the missing front mud flap (can these be found online?), do you see anything that is missing from the bicycle?

And finally...

5. There are scratches on the paint that have since began to rust. Is there a way to remove the rust without damaging the paint or at least stop the rusting process without repainting. I'd love to keep this bicycle original.

IMAG0044.jpg
IMAG0045.jpg
IMAG0046.jpg

Thanks so much!!

The bike looks complete to me but I don't have access to my literature right now to verify whether or not this had a rack. The mudflap was an accessory so I wouldn't sweat it. The tires may be able to be cleaned and apply a dressing-just be careful-too much on the tread and things can get a little crazy! There are ways to take the dents out of the fenders without harming the paint (fender rolling) but this may cost more than it's worth. Regarding cleaning the paint; there are a number of threads on this site that address that subject so do a search to see what you think is best for you. The serial number should be on the left rear drop out (where the rear axle attaches on the left side). You are right about keeping it original. To restore this bike would be cost prohibitive and you can't replace patina. I'd give it a good cleaning grease all teh bearings and ride it! v/r Shawn

Last edited:
The American was equipped just like yours with no rack. The American De Luxe (says De Luxe on the chain guard) had rear rack, front fender light and half tank with horn. I'd clean her up, regrease all the bearings and ride her like she is. Some dents in the fender add character. We have 2 '63s, a boys and a girls; they are great riders. BTW the mud flap was not part of the standard factory equipment. The link below shows you how it was equipped.
http://www.trfindley.com/flschwinn_1961_1970/1962_07.html

Thanks guys! I went through the entire restoration section and saw a couple interesting techniques for removing rust (wood bleach and white vinegar, depending on the metal type). However, I didn't see anything about cleaning rust from the frame without harming the original paint or decals. I was curious if this is even possible / desirable? A little rust doesn't bother me, but I am concerned about it continuing to rust.

Regarding the tires, they have some cracks in the rubber but otherwise hold air and are current usable. I was thinking there must be some kind of epoxy / filler that could seal these cracks? Any ideas?

Back