When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1960's Schwinn Continental in Coppertone...Pricing??

-

HARPO

Cruisin' on my Bluebird
Attached is the only photo the owner has of it that he can send me. I can tell it's an early 60's model, and apparently someone added the "lazy levers" to it at some point that you can barely make out. Possibly the original saddle, but he said it's all dried out.

He's up to offers, but I have no idea as to if it's even worth anything at all. Lol...I just like the color. :cool: What do you guys think???

Continental.jpg

It looks like a '60's version, so not as common as the '70's versions, but still not worth a mint. Condition looks pretty good in the picture, so if you can get it for the right price and you want it, splurge! They're not making any more of them.

No clue as to what I'd do with it once I'd get it home...other than detail it. Frame appears to small for my 6' frame. Appears to be a '62 or '63, but had it been a '60 it would have had the suicide shifter on it.

I really need to stop looking for bikes, lol!!!!!!!!!!!! :tonguewink:

The copper tone early 60's do they came with those type of brakes calipers I thought those caliper brakes start coming out late 60's thru the 70's....the logo on the frame is a 60's frame...schwinn swap parts from year and bike frames you do not know what you get the company it wasn't as good in the late 40's and 50's I consider those the gold age for the company...

The 1960s-era Schwinns are not bad for the most part, especially those from the first half of the 1960s. They're a little on the heavy side, but they ride well and are quite strong. I agree that the earlier bikes are generally a bit more interesting and there seemed to be more innovation for their lightweights in the 1939 - 1959 period. But if you come across a nice 1960s era 3-speed, 5-speed, or 10-speed that fits you, it's worth owning because they're still pretty well-made and they make good riders. I think you need better pictures to tell what you're dealing with. If it doesn't fit, it's a "pass" unless you're just looking for something to work on. And then you have to consider what parts are going to cost to put it back to right, etc.

The frame is too small? Looking at the headtube, it's not 19", it's either 21" or 23", I can't tell for sure.

I take a 25'' frame...sometimes a 24'' depending. I'm 6' with long legs. :cool:

Last edited:
@Lightweightbikes I think the bike is a '62. Appears to be the first year of the center-pull brakes. I attached both the '63 and the Super Continental 15 speed for '62 catalog pages.

1963dlr_Continental_sports.jpg

1962dlr_Super_Continental.jpg

Last edited:
A Continental was what I dreamed of while riding my older brothers lime green 64 Varsity to school in the late 60s and early 70s.

Last Monday I had to go into work and in the scrap pile there was a March 8 1960 Continental in copper tone withe the suicide shifter and everything seemed original. The loader operator had grabbed it by the bottom bracket crushing one chain stay, the seat post and cranks. It was so sad, rims were pretty rusty but it had nice all chrome forks and might have cleaned well. I did a search on that bike and found a 1960 Coppertone Continental sold few years back for $400. The sold bike looks like a beauty.

The poor sad victim of a front end loader looks like it had been stored out in the San Francisco salt air for some time. Probably dumped by someone who lived out near Ocean Beach. There was a fair amount of paint where I rubbed off the grime to see the serial number. I didn't have time to even try to pull some parts off.

Someone somewhere said that the suicide shifter alone in good condition could be worth $100. I've never seen one.

Back