When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1960's Schwinn Continental in Coppertone...Pricing??

-
A Continental was what I dreamed of while riding my older brothers lime green 64 Varsity to school in the late 60s and early 70s.

Last Monday I had to go into work and in the scrap pile there was a March 8 1960 Continental in copper tone withe the suicide shifter and everything seemed original. The loader operator had grabbed it by the bottom bracket crushing one chain stay, the seat post and cranks. It was so sad, rims were pretty rusty but it had nice all chrome forks and might have cleaned well. I did a search on that bike and found a 1960 Coppertone Continental sold few years back for $400. The sold bike looks like a beauty.

The poor sad victim of a front end loader looks like it had been stored out in the San Francisco salt air for some time. Probably dumped by someone who lived out near Ocean Beach. There was a fair amount of paint where I rubbed off the grime to see the serial number. I didn't have time to even try to pull some parts off.
View attachment 1408703

View attachment 1408702
It's sad, but there was lots of rust, that bike had been neglected for a long time. You can't save them all.

Harp, if the paint is good and the price is right go for it you will enjoy bringing it back to like new conditio. Tim

The bike is almost complete for the year restore would be a challenge good find...and thank you for who post the model catalog that way can be restore correctly nice model for the 60's way ahead time...thank you

Well, it looks like it's night time and I can't see nothing in that picture, so can't comment on it other than saying I think it's a 1963 model. :tongueout:

Here's a 1962 I picked up a few years ago and it was originally a Tourist model. It's also a 15 speed with an added chain ring.

Center pulls must have came out in 1963.

62 Conti 3.jpg

62 Conti 4.jpg

62 Continental 008.JPG

62 Conti 4.jpg

Last edited:
@GTs58 Center-pulls are also on the '62 catalog page I put on.

BTW...the bike is with the same guy I bought the Schwinn Starlet from. I wonder what he'd actually take for the Continental?... :cool:

Last edited:
@1motime @GTs58 What would be a good price, Ballpark, since you can't see all of it? Lets just call call it "Average" condition for lack of a better description.

Also, I'm betting on '62. Why? The 63's had QR front and rear hubs...and you can see that the rear wheel doesn't. Might have been changed out, like apparently the brake levers were as you can make out a "lazy lever" also in the photo. ALTHOUGH...it has the center-pull brakes from '62. Crossover time period?

Last edited:
This bike is only 10 speed or 15 speed like somebody d3scribe I don't think they made them 15 speed a lower class bike than paramount even it had some improvements as customer taste for a little more....thank you

Back