When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1960's Schwinn Continental in Coppertone...Pricing??

-
Rigida on the 62's and the Tubular S-6 started on the 63's.

@GTs58 @Eric Amlie Thanks for the additional info, guys! Bike is a bit more original than I had thought then. :cool:

I should really finish up the other bikes I'm working on...but this one is calling my name right now. I know I won't be bored for awhile, that's for sure.

I took the bike outside on the patio because it was so beautiful a little while ago. I wish it would stay like this all summer!

Anyway...I was pleasantly surprised to see that the seat slid right out without any issue! I also removed the decaying handlebar foam grips, and then decided to clean off the hubs to see a makers name and was very surprised. Though BOTH rims are Rigida, the rear hub is made in Japan...the front hub in West Germany (I got a photo of the logo, but not the wording). This is starting to look like the bike was made by the U. N.

So far we have USA...W Germany...France...and Japan. Talk about sourcing out parts!! :cool:

IMG_1950.jpeg

IMG_1952.jpeg

IMG_1953.jpeg

IMG_1956.jpeg

IMG_1957.jpeg

Looks like a nice project Harpo, enjoy the process, can’t wait to see the finished product. Tim

Looks like a nice project Harpo, enjoy the process, can’t wait to see the finished product. Tim

Lots of paint loss, along with everything else, but I'll deal with it. I'll do the best I can to make it at least presentable for a bike this old. It'll be fun! :p

And I THINK I might have a more correct set of brake levers in one of my Schwinn Stash containers.

The brake levers on your bike are most likely the originals. Someone just added those suicide levers to the original pieces. Can't tell from your pictures if the Rigida's have perforated sidewalls or not. Picked up a Varsity a while back and the seller gave me a wheel that had the Rigida rim but the sidewall perforation was totally different then the 60-63 Schwinn's version. I still have not seen another one like it.

@GTs58 Sidewalls are smooth. I've had the perforated versions on Peugeot's that I've had (a PX-10 has them).
Once again, I need to go to my "Stash" because I just remembered I have a pair of 27'' wheels with the Rigida rims. I'll have to see where the Hubs were made and what the sidewalls look like.

Almost ready for handle bar tape...in white, of course, to keep it correct. Lucky I had one left!

@GTs58 These aren't the original brake levers (though I will leave them on). You can see the scrapes where they had a hard time removing the originals at the end of the bars.

To bad that there is so much paint loss, but it is what it is. :(

IMG_2036.jpeg

IMG_2037.jpeg

Back